Options

Multiple Versions Of A Form

Jonathan2708Jonathan2708 Member Posts: 552
Hi,

I'm working on customisations for a Navision implementation for a group of 3 companies. The 3 companies are all to be in the same Navision database as they will be heavily using the InterCompany postings feature.

The 3 companies operate in 3 very different ways when it comes to sales invoicing and I am considering the need for 3 different sales invoice forms. Is it common practise to have a different form for each company and if so what is the best way to go about this.

I was hoping to somehow just have one 'Sales Invoicing' menu option that would pick the appropriate form based on the current company.

The system is Navision 4 SP2, SQL Server 2005.

Any help appreciated,

Jonathan

Comments

• Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    You can create a codeunit, put that in the menu and that codeunit launches the correct form.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I would try to get all companies to use the same forms, and explain that because everything is in one database, they are sharing the same objects. If they are really dead set on having 3 different versions of forms, then you are in for a bumpy ride, as there are many many forms that they will want to have 3 versions of. I would probably put company specific information on tabs and program visibility rather than creating a new version of the form.
  • Options
    Jonathan2708Jonathan2708 Member Posts: 552
    If I wanted to keep all my 'Form Selection' code in one code unit is there a way of passing a value to the code unit from the menu item? Otherwise I will need a separate code unit for each form I will have more than one version of.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    So let's say you want to have 3 versions of the sales invoice form. You will have to create 2 copies and modify them. Then you also have to create a codeunit for the right selection. Repeat this for every form that they want 3 versions of.

Think about the mess of objects that you will have to maintain, and what the implications are if you do a NAV upgrade. It's easy t identify the differences between the new standard invoice form and the customized one, but there is no link between the invoice form and the copies.