New database from Navision issue

ovicashovicash Member Posts: 141
hello everybody

Scenario:
1) Install Sql server
2) Install navision

When you create a new database in Navision the default location for the database is in the default location of data files from Sql(let say C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\)

If you change the defalt location in Sql Server for the data directory let's say a "d:\Sql_data" when you create a new database in Navision the default location of the files remains in c:\program files....

I've looked into registers, settings but nothing.
It is not realy a problem, I can manualy change the location but si frustrating to do the same thing all over again when creating a new database.

Has anyone any ideea how to solve this issue? :roll:

Thx
ovidiu

Best Regards

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I'm positive that It's stored in registery search for C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\ in registry. there are only 3 places it is. Change one at a time till you find the correct one.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • ovicashovicash Member Posts: 141
    ara3n wrote:
    I'm positive that It's stored in registery search for C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\ in registry. there are only 3 places it is. Change one at a time till you find the correct one.

Sorry. I only found the path in some keys where is specified the path of master database:(.

Has anyone any ideeas?

thx
    ovidiu

Best Regards
  • eknraweknraw Member Posts: 26
    It looks like it follows the path of the Master database. Change it's location and the default file paths in NAV will change as well. Unfortunately, if you have data and logs in two locations it'll want to dump everything in the data dir. It looks like it's parsing out the file path from the 'exec sp_helpfile' command it issues after you select a new database because that's the only reference to the file path that I could see while running the packet sniffer. Didn't see anything that would indicate it's pulling it from the registry on the client or server. I'd guess this is something legacy as this command goes back to at least SQL 6.5. I'm not installing older sql versions to find out though :)

Maybe there's a way to change the query or a config file to specify alternate paths??

Bill