SQL Server, renaming companies

KarenhKarenh Member Posts: 209
At a client site, user with SUPER role cannot rename company. Only the administrator can.

What rights have to be granted on the SQL Server side to do this?

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    db_owner should be able to do that. If that doesn't work, try sys admin
  • diquiridiquiri Member Posts: 1
    Just as information...
    As far as my experience goes, it goes faster to rename a company in a native Client.

So, make a backup in navision,
    import this backup in a Native database and rename the company,
    make a backup again and import this again under SQL
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    diquiri wrote:
    Just as information...
    As far as my experience goes, it goes faster to rename a company in a native Client.

So, make a backup in navision,
    import this backup in a Native database and rename the company,
    make a backup again and import this again under SQL

Usable just with small DB... if you have 4+GB, it is faster to run it directly on SQL. In 4.00SP2 is not problem, working correctly, it just takes time to alter all tables names and all records in Object table, that's all.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    ACtually I was surprised to see that even a large (around 100 GB) SP2 database on SQL Server 2005 just took a few minutes to rename. I have to say that this was on state of the art equipment. This is one of the few things that Navision lets SQL Server handle all by itself, and if you have the right hardware this can go quite quickly.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I don't think it's the size of the db that makes much of a difference, but the number of tables it has to rename.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    And no. of records in tables which are DataPerCompany=NO. :-) And this can be big rename performance killer... :whistle:
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • mgmmgm Member Posts: 126
    kine wrote:
    Usable just with small DB... if you have 4+GB, it is faster to run it directly on SQL. In 4.00SP2 is not problem, working correctly, it just takes time to alter all tables names and all records in Object table, that's all.

What do you mean with run it directly on SQL?
    A SQL statement, or a NAV client on the SQL server?
    Run the NAV client on same machine as MS SQL is installed and run the rename there.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    In the case of a company rename this should not matter, it is one of the very few places that the NAV actually lets SQL Server do the work. But to be on the safe side, you should always do all admin work directly on the SQL Server.