Business Notification scheme fails to start

matthewlmatthewl Member Posts: 11
Hi all,

In the Business Notification designer I have created a new scheme and wish to start it. However every time I go to start my scheme I receive a "Start failed" message box, and the scheme in question advises me to check the event log.

Upon checking the event log I get the following error each time I start a scheme:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DeploymentServer
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 26/07/2006
Time: 11:17:14
User: N/A
Computer: BERNABAU

Deployment failed! Deployer Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.BusinessNotification.NotificationService.NotificationServiceDeployer failed!
Exception:
System.NullReferenceException
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.BusinessNotification.NotificationService.NotificationServiceDeployer.RegisterPermissions(NotificationScheme scheme)
at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.BusinessNotification.NotificationService.NotificationServiceDeployer.DeployNotificationScheme(IDeployTransactionContext transactionContext, NotificationScheme scheme)
at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.BusinessNotification.Deployment.DeploymentController.PerformDeployment(DeploymentOperation operation, NotificationScheme scheme, IDeploy deployer)
at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.BusinessNotification.Deployment.DeploymentController.PerformDeployment(DeploymentOperation operation, NotificationScheme scheme)

I didn't experience any problems during the install of notification service and everything is setup as is.

If anyone could point me in the right direction with this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthew

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    It seems like permission problem. Check this:
    1) License file (must be some actual, not older than one year)
    2) Check install documentation for steps you didn't do
    3) Check BN service account you are using - must have enough permission to communicate with the MS SQL NS
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • matthewlmatthewl Member Posts: 11
    Thanks Kamil for the pointers.

We actually managed to get it working on our new development server. Everything was installed onto a new virtual machine and now business notifications is happily working.

Matthew
  • andy76andy76 Member Posts: 616
    Also I have same problem.
    One day of last week after installation and configuration all tests went right.

Now after some restart of OS and OS automatic updates have this error message.

Have you solved? How?

If I copy our partner license in folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision\Business Notification\NAS insted of Cronus.flf does it have to have a particular name?

Thanks
    What do you mean by :
    Check BN service account you are using - must have enough permission to communicate with the MS SQL NS

We have Ms SQL 2005 and NAV 5.0

Thank you very much
    andy76 wrote:
    Also I have same problem.
    One day of last week after installation and configuration all tests went right.

Now after some restart of OS and OS automatic updates have this error message.

Have you solved? How?

If I copy our partner license in folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision\Business Notification\NAS insted of Cronus.flf does it have to have a particular name?

Thanks

It must have name fin.flf. But the NAS will use default license from the server if all is correct. It means you do not need to insert the license somewhere...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    andy76 wrote:
    What do you mean by :
    Check BN service account you are using - must have enough permission to communicate with the MS SQL NS

We have Ms SQL 2005 and NAV 5.0

Thank you very much

The NAV BN Server have some service (see the Services in the server administration). This service must be started under some account which have enough permissions to connect to the MS SQL Notification Service.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    I know that there are 2 services Notification Service Deployment Manager and NS$BusinessNotificationInstance.
    They have a login user as a domain user that can run these services.
    In the test of last week all the tests went right then I don't know what has happened.

We have this message if we try to start and stop some:

The program cannot connect to the server XXX. The service might run under an account which is no longer valid or the Web configuration file might be corrupted. Please contact your system administrator.

an in event log:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: DeploymentServer
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 0
    Date: 03.04.2009
    Time: 15:35:04
    User: N/A
    Computer: TCCHTIS028
    Description:
    Deployment failed! Deployer Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.BusinessNotification.NotificationService.NotificationServiceDeployer failed!
    Exception:
    System.Threading.ThreadAbortException
    Thread was being aborted.
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.CallProcessMessage(IMessageSink ms, IMessage reqMsg, ArrayWithSize proxySinks, Thread currentThread, Context currentContext, Boolean bSkippingContextChain)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.InternalInvoke(IMethodCallMessage reqMcmMsg, Boolean useDispatchMessage, Int32 callType)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(IMessage reqMsg)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
    at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.BusinessNotification.NotificationService.INotificationServiceDeploymentManager.Update(String baseDirectory, String sqlServerName, String hostName, String smtpServer, String smtpAuthenticate)
    at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.BusinessNotification.NotificationService.NotificationServiceDeployer.CompileAdf(IDeployTransactionContext transactionContext)
    at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.BusinessNotification.NotificationService.NotificationServiceDeployer.UnpublishNotificationScheme(IDeployTransactionContext transactionContext, Guid schemeId)
    at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.BusinessNotification.Deployment.DeploymentController.PerformDeployment(DeploymentOperation operation, NotificationScheme scheme, IDeploy deployer)
    at Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.BusinessNotification.Deployment.DeploymentController.PerformDeployment(DeploymentOperation operation, NotificationScheme scheme)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I don't know what/how investigate.