Tech Ed 2006: Daily report and NAV 5.0 details

2»

Comments

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Mark wrote:
    I hope to upload some NAV 5.0 screenshots like tomorow or friday.

It's nice to hear that you share your knowledge about Dyn. NAV version 5.0, but could you tell me the website that you provide in which I can see NAV 5.0 screenshots as you've said ? [-o<

Rgds,
    Johnson

I don't know of any site, but I'll do my best. I've asked Robert for his presentasion but we did not have any time to put it on my memory stick so I'll send him an email or waut for the demo to be available to download from the TechEd site.

Be patient please, I am working on it. O:)
    DenSter wrote:
    Can you like pop in a cd and burn an image of the hard drive :mrgreen:

I could have, but I did not. O:)

In fact, I think someone of the Convention center who has provided the machines is actiualy formating the drive that has the VPC image on it. #-o

Maybe you can contact them :mrgreen: [Just kidding of course]
    kine wrote:
    ...Of course, we need to be prepared to total change of licensing policy, because I assume that it will not be possible keep this "per object licensing" when the 2nd tier will be running on IIS...

The licencing does not change, we will keep the oer object or granular licencing model. At least that what the told me. :?
    ...One of the great impovements that conserns this is the removing of the tab-oriented forms. The new forms are just big forms containing all data with a kind of bar instead of the tab of which I forgotten the name from they gave to it, I'll post the name tomorrow.

They are called 'Bands'.

One other thing I forgot to mention is the Homepage thing. Every user or group of users get their own homepage, that contain their workload, things they do most comonly and also a direct inteface with outlook.

From the homepage you will be able to go to the department page where all the common things are provided that are defined for the user role.

There is also the Breadcrumb bar where you can see from where you started off and where you are know, kind of when you use internet explorer.

Also the company name will be default present at your homepage
    DenSter wrote:
    The business logic will reside in the service tier on IIS, although I don't exactly know how that will work with the old client.

If you have the old client you will have still a 2 tier solution, there will be some checksum validation built in that when you use the old client you have the same objects as in the 2nd IIS tier.
    ara3n wrote:
    When will a beta version be available for NSC's?
    As you mentioned the 3 tiered system, how does it effect our programming?

Nothing basicly. It will run the same C/AL code as before. To combine these for the new client we will have a new object called pages where we can bind diffenent forms into pages for the new client to render.
    ara3n wrote:
    Will we get a better text editor for the development environment?
    .NET and COM integration, what has improved?
    Error, exception handling, have they done anything about it.

We will still be having the same old C/AL development environment BUT. There is one improvement; You will be able to TAB-Indent a group of lines in one time. I know it is not a big improvement but it is an improvement.
    ara3n wrote:
    Report writer, what has changed?

In the new client, reports will be in the SQL reporting tool. You will still be able to development in the old way but they get transformed into SQL Reporting. One of the cool features is that you can add SQL reporting thing to it like Colors!!! grahps and stuff like that.
    ara3n wrote:
    Scheduling, have you build something about it. For example to schedule to run a report a certain time and email it to somebody.

There will be webservices in the new version but they are developing this and we are not allowed to say much about it other then that it will be provided.
    ara3n wrote:
    Licensing, has anything changed? paying 200 dollars for a table is terrible. If you tell this to a .NET developer they'll laugh at you..

That will not be changed. Actualy; I got to show NAV to some of the .net developers and thery are amazed by the things you can do in NAV based on a couple of thables. If you build a solution on SQL server with a .net client most need load and loads of more tables to do the same stuff.

In fact. If you run on SQL server, all kinds of stuff is done to have us use flowfields and flowfilters. Imagine building this yourself. Than you will be needing loads and loads of more tables.

OK, got that out of the way...
    ara3n wrote:
    Running business logic outside of navision? Can we do that?

As I mentioned, webservices will be available, we just do not know at what point business logic will be executed...

----

I hoped that answers most of your questions...

Anyone else???
  • AKAK Member Posts: 226
    Great information, thank you all for sharing it!

I have two questions:

1) How will a technical upgrade be done? Sounds like there may be some more work to do than usual, may be including changes in C/AL?

2) Since the business logic is running on a IIS server, will it be recommended to use a separate physical server for it?

Alex
    AK wrote:
    Great information, thank you all for sharing it!

I have two questions:

1) How will a technical upgrade be done? Sounds like there may be some more work to do than usual, may be including changes in C/AL?

This is not clear yet. There will off course be an upgrade toolkit available.
    AK wrote:
    2) Since the business logic is running on a IIS server, will it be recommended to use a separate physical server for it?

That, I don;t know, but you can run the 2nd tier on a differnt server than the database.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    They are called 'Bands'.

It it similar to the Office 2007 Ribbon?
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview ... w.mspx#EYB
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    No, it is simillar to WebPart... But there will be the something like ribbon too (list of possible actions etc.)...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    Won't this all mean than from now on, it will be impossible to use NAV just from the keyboard? Being able to key in 300-line journals fast is quite important, I think.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    No, developers know that all must be possible to control through keyboard. We talked about that. I hope that they are aware of that...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    There will still be normal listforms, just like you are used to today.

As kine said, the developers are aware of the needs of the users, so don't be affraid to lose functionality.
    The downloads of the presentations are located.

I will try to get them to Luc a.s.a.p.

Meanwhile I've put the 5.0 ppt on my own site until it's avaliable on mibuso

http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight=