Copy roles between database login and Windows login user ids

navdev3navdev3 Member Posts: 32
Can roles be copied from one Windows login user id to another Windows login user id?

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    have you tried copy/paste? I don't know if that'll work, but it's what I'd try first.
  • Torben_R.Torben_R. Member Posts: 99
    Copy/paste works fine :lol:
  • navdev3navdev3 Member Posts: 32
    Sorry, I meant copy from the database login roles to the Windoes login roles. We've tried this with copy/paste and get the error 'you can't insert a record from another table'.
  • thaugthaug Member Posts: 106
    I've run in to the same problem as I am starting to move from database to Windows logins. So far, the users that I have moved all have the same permissions, so I manuallly created a set of roles for one of the Windows logins, then did my copy/past from that login to all of the others.

You will probably need to create a report or codeunit to do it. Probably wouldn't be too difficult. If anyone has one already created, please post as it would save us all some time.
    There is no data, only bool!
  • bberkleybberkley Member Posts: 11
    Isn't there supposed to be a User Rights Setup form? I have some documentation and a .fob from 2004 (for version 3.x I believe), but we are running 4.01 SP1. I need to copy roles from a Windows user group to a Database Login.
  • wfmunwfmun Member Posts: 19
    Hi experts!
    We also encounter the same situation whereby we need to change from database logins to windows login.

Just want to know, before we change the login method, is there anything that we need to take note? Is there any impact on the existing user roles/permissions? Would the changes affect existing user logins or their daily work?
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    there really is no practical difference, other than that they are managed in two different tables. But for all intents and purposes it works the same way. Let's say you have a person called John Smith. He currently logs in with database user jsmith and has a number of roles assigned to the user. Your plan is to move him to the Windows user id of DOMAIN\john.smith, and all you'd have to do is make sure that you assign the same roles to the windows user, and permissions should be set up right away.

What would still need to be done is application set up. For instance if you use warehousing, you'll have to make sure that his credential is set up as a warehouse employee, and there are other areas where you'll have to make sure there is the appropriate set up. Other than that, the security works pretty much the same.