Options

2.60 database with 4.0 SP2 client

tuborgtuborg Member Posts: 6
edited 2006-06-15 in Navision Financials
Hello all Nav-hackers,

Does anyone know if it's ok to run a 4.0SP2 client on a 2.60 SQL-database?
I want to get the latest finsql.exe-updates to run the old 2.60-database as fast as possible.

Best regards,
Torbjörn

Comments

• Options
    DouméDoumé Member Posts: 3
    Will work but you have to change all functions find('-'),... with the new functions findfirst, findlast and findset if you want a really better way on SQL Server!

But don't forget C/AL in 2.60 was not really optimize for SQL Server. [-o<
    Best Regards,
    :)
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Doumé wrote:
    Will work but you have to change all functions find('-'),... with the new functions findfirst, findlast and findset if you want a really better way on SQL Server!

But don't forget C/AL in 2.60 was not really optimize for SQL Server. [-o<
    No no no no no.... you don't HAVE to do anything. FIND('-') still works. The only reason you should look into rewriting any code is if you are having actual performance problems. If your system is running fine you should not even think about doing this.
  • Options
    DouméDoumé Member Posts: 3
    That right will works (i said that first :D ) without changing anything, but not in go way!

It's a hard work to optimize C/AL of 2.60 to obtain good speed!

Good luck
    Best Regards,
    :)
  • Options
    tuborgtuborg Member Posts: 6
    Thanks all of you.
    It was the updated finsql.exe I was after in the first place.
    To re-write all FIND will have to wait... :wink:

Best regards,
    Torbjörn
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,098
    A (quite) fast way to get a lot of performance is not to control all the code in the 2.60 DB but do some checking of the indexes/SIFT fields in Navision. A lot of those don't have to be maintained in SQL. Some indexes can be reworked (eg. an index with "Document Type","Document No." in SQL is better to have only 1 field in the index:"Document No.").
    And the funny/beautifull thing is:you don't have to rewrite a single line of code, only update the properties of the indexes.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!