Using Native Nav DB with Business Analytics

garthgarth Member Posts: 25
Is it possible to use BA with the native nav DB setup us the System DB in ANTServer? I have no problem if I setup the nav 4 demo DB in SQL Server and use that as the System DB in ANTServer (using the SQL driver), but I can't setup the native nav DB as the System DB (using the NODBC driver).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Garth

Comments

• dparkerdparker Member Posts: 3
    I also have this working on the sql database but not with a native database. I am currently getting the following error when I try to run the configurator out of avtie.

[Simba][SimbaEngine ODBC Driver][DRM File Library]The server and client do not have the same program version number. Database Error: 1111

I have installed the client, server, database, and NODBC tool all from the Navision 4.0 SP1 cds. I have also installed Business Analytics as the W1 version for Navision 4.0. I can not see any reason there should be conflicting versions.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Daniel
  • garthgarth Member Posts: 25
    Sorry I've taken so long to reply - I wasn't notified of your reply. Have you got it working yet? And if yes, how?
    Anyway, this is the stuff that I found out - hope it's not too late:

Business Analytics Installation Guide

1) Software Requirements
    SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services, with SP4
    Business Analytics
    Navision 4

2) SQL Server Setup
    SQL Server must be installed as the ‘local’ default instance. Business Analytics does not recognise SQL Server if it is installed as a named instance. This could be a problem if SQL Server desktop edition is installed as the default instance.

2) Data Sources (ODBC) Setup
    Found in Control Panel > Administrative Tools.
    The MDAC version numbers must all be the same, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307255/EN-US/ for more information. The MDAC version checker can be downloaded at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

If you want to access a native Navision DB with Business Analytics, then NODBC must also be setup (however, this is not recommended – see below).

3) Navision Setup
    If Navision 4.0 is used then several objects must be imported. A fob file is supplied with Business Analytics – import and replace all. Hotfix 4 must also be installed if Navision 4.0 is used – this is for NODBC and corrects a problem with version numbers. With Navision 4.0, the NODBC version number is 4.0.0.20942.
    After all programs have been installed, it is worthwhile to check that the version numbers of the following files match:
    CFRONT.dll
    CFRONT.ocx
    NODBC.dll
    SLAVE.exe
    FIN.exe
    Do a search for these files and make sure they are the same version (e.g. in the NAVISION folder, the NODBC folder, and the BUSINESS ANALYTICS folder).
    It is recommended that Navision 4 with SP1 (or SP2) is used, as several problems have been resolved, and it is not necessary to import the fob file.

It is recommended that Navision is installed with the SQL Server option. It is possible to use the native Navision DB as the system DB in Business Analytics and access it with NODBC, but in my experience with Navision 4.0 this led to several problems (e.g. when running the configurator from Navision, to create the cubes, Navision has to be closed, and if there is an error creating the cube Navision cannot be restarted (this can remedied by ending the SLAVE.EXE process). Also, I could not connect the ANTServer to the native Navision DB using NODBC – although this is possible in theory). Some of these problems may have been resolved with SP1 for Navision 4.

4) Installation Sequence
    i) Install SQL server 2000 with Analysis Services and SP4.
    ii) Install Navision 4
    iii) Check MDAC versions
    iv) Install Business Analytics > Servers > Business Analytics Basic > Install Business Analytics Basic
    v) Check Navision and NODBC file versions
    vi) Create cube in Navision
    vii) Install Business Analytics > Client > Install Business Analytics Client > Complete Installation
    viii) Install Business Analytics > Servers > Business Analytics Advanced > Configure Business Analytics Advanced

5) Configuring ANTServer
    If there were no problems during installation Business Analytics can now be used with the cube that was created from Navision. But if there were problems then it is necessary to manually configure the ANTServer.
    Two services are installed by Business Analytics: ANTServer and ANTDaemon (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services). By default, Business Analytics creates a new user BAUSER, and logs these services on as that user. This must either be changed to LocalSystem or BAUSER must be given Administrative rights (i.e. these services need administrative rights).
    ANTServer must also be configured for security and DB access. ANTServer can be accessed via the Enterprise Manager that is installed by Business Analytics.
    Configuring Security: Business Analytics Enterprise Manager > Localhost > Security select "Windows Security", click Access Rights, add your account or some group and set the privileges.
    Configuring the databases in ANTserver: Business Analytics Enterprise Manager > Localhost > ANTserver > Databases. There are two databases (the demo version does not allow you to add more). The first is named ANALYSIS and is the cube that has been created from Navision. Use the MSOLAP driver to connect. Select the Data Source (e.g. local) and the Initial Catalog to use (default is BA for MBS Navision 400 – depending on version used)
    The second is named SYSTEM and is the full Navision DB. If the DB is in SQL Server, use the SQLOLEDB driver, select the Server name and the correct database. If using a native Navision DB, then use the MSDASQL driver, Select the NODBC data source and the Initial Catalog.(I could not get this to work)
  • dparkerdparker Member Posts: 3
    I finially got this to work.

I was pointing navision to the incorrect BAConfigurator40.exe for BA. I went through several installs of BA server basic and advanced. It ended up placing a folder under \program files\BA for the configurator. I linked the field in navision to the exe in this folder instead of the install folder and it worked.

Again, I installed basic server and advanced server a few times during the testing process and couldn't tell you which is required to create the folder.

In addition to this I set up my native navision database as a navision server instead of a stand alone. This allowed me to start building the cube without having to close navision.

On another note, I have found that updating the existing cube from the sql or native navision database fails due to a lock placed on the BA database in SQL. This is supposedly removed after a peroid of time and will not cause an issue for navision. I have found this lock to continually be an issue. I have been going into SQL enterprise manager and removing the lock through the dettach database function but not fully dettaching the database. There is a clear button which allows me to break the locks. I can then update the cube from navision after closing sql enterprise manager.
    After the cube is rebuilt/updated by navision, I am running the configure BA server function from the advanced server setup files on the install cd to reattach the BA server to the BA database.

Hope this helps.

Daniel
  • PhennoPhenno Member Posts: 630
    Do you mean, you created a subfolder manually and places baconfigurator there?
    Phenno wrote:
    Do you mean, you created a subfolder manually and places baconfigurator there?

phuhh... my bad, forget the question :oops:
  • garthgarth Member Posts: 25
    I did get it to work with a native nav DB, but I'm still having a few problems. I can't get the configurator to connect to a nav server over TCP - it will only connect if I set it as local and give the full path. What version of nav are you using?
    I've manage it to work with native db (4,0 SP1) but everything is on one machine (SQL Server, Analysis Services, Navision DB server and DB, BA), though, BA client is working on other machines too.

But, when you do configurations procedures, better to work on local machine (eg. run configurator from navision on local machine).
  • Markandey_PandeyMarkandey_Pandey Member Posts: 178
    Hi,

I am working Nav 2009 SP1 with Sql Server 2005, now i want to configure Native Database server. I have gone through the tutorial(PDF) given for Installation and configuration of the same but not able to resolve the issue.

Actually when i am trying to connect the server then an error is occurred saying cannot find the fin.flf file. I had tried changing our license file to fin.flf and had placed to the installation folder but not the problem remain same.
    Can u plz guide me how to configure Native Database
    Markandey Pandey