Options

Attain and IBM i-Series (a.k.a. AS400)

marblemarble Member Posts: 11
edited 2002-10-15 in Navision Attain
Hi all,

We are going to try a test installation of Navision Attain on IBM i-series (formerly known as AS400). Does anybody have experience on it?

thanks,
Marble

Comments

• Options
    bostjanlbostjanl Member Posts: 107
    Hi!

We have Attain instalation on iSeries for 4 months now. What do you want to know?

Regads

Bostjan
  • Options
    seamus.powerseamus.power Member Posts: 4
    Hi. Can I just ask a quick question are you running Attain on your AS/400, sorry i-series (I always forget the name change) using native OS400 or are you using the I-series as a SQL server?
  • Options
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by seamus.power:
    <strong>Hi. Can I just ask a quick question are you running Attain on your AS/400, sorry i-series (I always forget the name change) using native OS400 or are you using the I-series as a SQL server?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Attain uses it own "native" database engine(like one on Intel or AIX), not DB2.

Bostjan
  • Options
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by marble:
    <strong>well, mainly if there are particular problems, if it has been tested with >30 users, if there is an installation manual....

hope I'm not asking too much,
    thanks again

Ciao

</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">There were now special problems,.. We tested on 5 useser, but those were very heavy users, using out own add on aplication, which workload is similar to 10 "normal" users.
    Instalation manual is avaible. I got one.

Bostjan
  • Options
    To SEAMUS: I think it is impossible to have SQL Server on AS400.... we are trying to set up a "native OS400" installation (not as AIX emulation) using the "native navision" database.

To BOSTJANL: I have finally found a short manual: "3.10A Installing ATDS on iSeries.doc" .. are you referring to this one?
  • Options
    well, mainly if there are particular problems, if it has been tested with >30 users, if there is an installation manual....

hope I'm not asking too much,
    thanks again

Ciao

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by bostjanl:
    <strong>Hi!

We have Attain instalation on iSeries for 4 months now. What do you want to know?

Regads

Bostjan</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
  • Options
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by marble:
    <strong>To SEAMUS: I think it is impossible to have SQL Server on AS400.... we are trying to set up a "native OS400" installation (not as AIX emulation) using the "native navision" database.

To BOSTJANL: I have finally found a short manual: "3.10A Installing ATDS on iSeries.doc" .. are you referring to this one?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Attain on iSeries in not iSeries native aplication. It was ported from pSeries (Aix) and runs under PASE.

I have a new one "Instaling Microsoft Navision attain Database Server 3.60 on an IBM eSercer Iseries (OS/400 V5R2)"

Bostjan

<small>[ 15-10-2002, 08:41: Message edited by: bostjanl ]</small>
  • Options
    Hi Bostjan,

I actually see it is in the end an AIX emulation under PASE. One thing I don't really understand is what I have to install on the i-series.

The document tells:

"you must ftp the server files to the /home/Navision directory on the iSeries computer"

...what does it mean "server files"? In the same folder with the said document there are just 10 objects...

In the end, where did you find the 3.60 installation manual?

thanks again very much,
    M
  • Options
    <strong>Hi Bostjan,

I actually see it is in the end an AIX emulation under PASE. One thing I don't really understand is what I have to install on the i-series.

The document tells:

"you must ftp the server files to the /home/Navision directory on the iSeries computer"

...what does it mean "server files"? In the same folder with the said document there are just 10 objects...

In the end, where did you find the 3.60 installation manual?

thanks again very much,
    M</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1. If you have iSeries and want to use Attain,..

2. Server files are server side program files for iSeries. Yout NTR/NSC should provide you. Yes there are only 10 (or so) files. It is similar to AIX or Intel (non MS SQL) instalation. Native Attain database server is very small and simple. Not huge as SQL.

3. I work for NSC and we were chosen by NTR to test (and implement) Attain on iSeries.

bostjan