Update database Key Groups?

deepbluedeepblue Member Posts: 152
hello!!!

During an upgrade process, i should update à database key groups on Navision 4.00, but I don't know how to make it? Can you help me?

Thanks!

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Why do you need keygroups? I the +-7 years I work with Navision, I never have used it.

For making/enabling/disabling a keygroup:File=>Database=>Information=>button Tables=>Button Keygroups
    For adding/removing a key to/from a keygroup => check the properties of the key.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• AEklundAEklund Member Posts: 13
    I have discovered that there is some value to using key groups, mostly in documentation..

Keys are set up for different reasons, and key group is a way to document that, e.g. with a REPORT or SORTING key group.

Typically I don't want SQL indexes on those keys, and want to verify that periodically, primarily because we have different people going into the daqtabase.

The question I have here is this - WHich table is the key group reference for a key maintained in? I can't find it anywhere??
    Allan Eklund
  • bstoyanobstoyano Member Posts: 134
    HI,
    I am having a similar situation. I am upgrading a database from nav4 to nav5sp1. I have been following the Upgrade manual, that goes within the Upgrade Toolkit. I reached the point where I am supposed to upgrade Database Key Groups. The manual says little about this - it says "Add the following key groups". It does not say why nor it says what to do with them further.

When I opened the table of key groups as kriki described above it was empty. I entered the new key groups as per the manual. Now my questions are:
    1. is it normal to have an empty table with key groups
    2. do I have to enable these new key groups
    3. is there any literature on the issue - in the training materials? - could you please guide me a little.

Thanks in advance
    Boris
    Please, do not frighten the ostrich,
    the floor is concrete.
    I don't know if there is any literature about it.

To enable or not : Open a Cronus and see if it is enabled or not in there.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Key groups are most useful for Add-On and vertical development. They are also very useful in mufti country roll outs where a common code base is used. They are not of great use for supporting a single database. In that case its best to custom tune that specific instance.
    David Singleton
    Thanks guys,
    In standard Cronus they are all enabled.
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.
  • kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    Personally I have used keygroups in the following manner:

I have made changes for optimization and found that some keys are used only in a "Periodic Activity" that occurs once at the end of the year.

So I have disabled the key in order to speed up the modifications to the tables, and when the key is required once a year, it is enabled and then disabled again by the administrator, without requiring to edit the table and change the key status.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    kapamarou wrote:
    Personally I have used keygroups in the following manner:

I have made changes for optimization and found that some keys are used only in a "Periodic Activity" that occurs once at the end of the year.

So I have disabled the key in order to speed up the modifications to the tables, and when the key is required once a year, it is enabled and then disabled again by the administrator, without requiring to edit the table and change the key status.

This was actually the original design purpose of KeyGroups.
    David Singleton
  • kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152

Yes.

So a customer with no Manufacturing process should (without any prolems...) , be able to disable Group
    Item(MFG).

(Or even better ...) the partner should have done this for the customer...
    And finally, with the later versions, you can do that pro-grammatically without user-intervention.

I don't think a lot of people used it because it would be a sure shot that at the end of the year, a lot of customers would call, saying the end-of-year batch doesn't work (never remembering to enable and then disable the keygroup).
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

Ahaa, now I see. Thanks again. I also found on the MSDN site the following note:

Note: By making your keys members of key groups, you can activate or deactivate various combinations of keys in your tables by enabling or disabling the key groups.

That clarifies the matter even for me #-o
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.