Options

Foreign language characters in US HTML not rendered properly in NAV2016

rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
Hi all,

We have built an email engine that takes templates stored in HTML and uses the NAV SMTP codeunit (CU400) to build and send emails to customers. We have a large number of Spanish-speaking customers and send out emails written in Spanish.

The HTML templates are built by our marketing and accounting department users, using Microsoft Word and saving the templates as HTML.

I am having a problem with foreign language characters such as "accented" characters or the n with a "tilde" over the letter (I don't know how to type these characters in this forum message, so I've attached a file with an example.)

For example, instead of an an accented "o", the email message (or printout) will print an upper case "A" with a tilde over it followed by a 2 spaces. So the word "cordon" appears as "cordA n".

In NAV2009, the emails send and print with the proper rendering of the special characters - this is happening only in NAV2016.

So far, my only solution has been to bring up the HTML file in a text-based HTML editor and replace all accented "o" characters with the HTML equivalent of "ó". This of course is very cumbersome.

I haven't been able to find an HTML "WYSIWIG" editor that will allow me to make these changes easily - I have tried BlueGriffon, Kompozer and TinyMCE - they all have the issue of as soon as you open a file that has the HTML codes for foreign characters, it will replace those HTML codes with the character equivalents.

Has anyone had to deal with this issue in NAV2013-2016? Any solutions?

A document is attached with a more detailed example.

Thx
Ron
Ron

Best Answer

Answers