Options

How to reduce the database

Horse06Horse06 Member Posts: 496
Hi expert,

How to reduce the database? If I don't need the data of the , invoices etc for the past six years, can I delete those data related and how?

Appreciate it!

Comments

• Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Why? how large is the database?

You should check regulations where you are. Some require things like posted invoices etc. to be retained for several years.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    nvermanverma Member Posts: 396
    You can delete unused keys from your code and unused fields form tables and forms.

go file -> database -> information -> tables -> optimize...
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    nverma wrote:
    You can delete unused keys from your code and unused fields form tables and forms.

go file -> database -> information -> tables -> optimize...

Huh?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    MarkHamblinMarkHamblin Member Posts: 118
    Go to administration->IT Administration->Data Deletion. There are a number of reports there that you can use to remove old data from the system. Use discretion with what you decide to delete, but some tables that commonly take up a lot of space are the sales and purchase archives, and the change log.

You could also use date compression to reduce the number of ledger entries in the system - just make sure you understand the impact (help files are pretty good resources for this).

- Mark
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    bbrown wrote:
    Why? how large is the database?

You should check regulations where you are. Some require things like posted invoices etc. to be retained for several years.

:thumbsup:

We need an idea of your size.

I have also deleted all posted invoices, posted shipments, posted credits.
    I like to keep 4-5 years worth od docs. I clean out at the end of each year the ones that are older.

But I do make & keep a backup of the database before doing so just in case I ever need to pull them up again.

Do you also keep item pics stored in blob fields? depending on the number of items this can be a ton of space. That's why we keep the item pics on a separate server and they get "pulled" when the item card is opened.

is the thought to reduce the size beacuse you are reaching a limit? or are you looking to increase speed?

I find it easiest to go to the posted invoice header table.
    filter on posting date the range you want.
    select all-> delete key.

if you have a backup server - install a backup of the most recent copy of the database.
    then you can test deleting certain things to see if it actually achieves what you aiming for.