Options

SQL Server Licensing

paulo.filipepaulo.filipe Member Posts: 7
edited 2007-09-24 in SQL General
I have one customer with the Dynamics NAV Business Essentials Edition.

As we know the users in Dynamics are concurrent, I can have 20 users created in the database, but if my license is for 5 users, only 5 can access the system at the same time.

The SQL Server license that comes with Dynamics NAV is named user.

I don't want to sell any more SQL Server licenses to the customer. How can I do this?!?!?

Can I assign several Dynamics NAV Users to only one SQL Server user??

Thank you very much for your help

Comments

• Options
    nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    Can I assign several Dynamics NAV Users to only one SQL Server user??

Thank you very much for your help

No you can't, you must also sell SQL user licenses. SQL Server named users licenses must the equal or lager than Navision users licenses
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    You can sell embeded licenses, which is cheaper, but have some restrictions (you can only install NAV on the SQL Server).

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    paulo.filipepaulo.filipe Member Posts: 7
    thank you for helping
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Waldo wrote:
    You can sell embeded licenses, which is cheaper, but have some restrictions (you can only install NAV on the SQL Server).

Embedded licenses (officially called RunTime license) are not always cheaper. In particular if the customer plans to run other SQL servers. There are various ways in which SQL can be licensed. The runtime license with Navision is jsut 1 of the options. Do your homework and compare the licensing options before making a decision or recommendation.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    The runtime licenses are rarely sold. For 130 customers, we only used this option once ... .

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog