Options

Biztalk 2004 vs. Lanham for EDI

LorenzoLorenzo Member Posts: 16
edited 2004-06-14 in Navision e-Commerce
If cost isn't an issue, what benefits and cons are there for implementing either solution for EDI transactions.

How difficult is setting up Biztalk 2004 to replace a VAN (assuming a company purchases the FTP component)? Is Biztalk integration seamless into Navision 3.7A?

I've done some reading and it seems Biztalk lacks batch and a few other EDI functionality.

Comments

• Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    If cost isn't an issue the i think there is nothing that biztalk can't do and is pretty flexable:

Internal Application Integration Services
    Services that support the integration of off-the-shelf and custom applications into business processes

Trading Partner Deployment and Management Services
    Services that support the creation of trading partner relationships and automate the testing and deployment of those relationships through wizards

Vertical Solutions and Industry Accelerators
    Additional components to support HIPAA, HL7, RosettaNet, and SWIFT

Business Activity Monitoring
    Powerful tools for information workers to monitor transactions and processes in real time

Comprehensive Rules Engine
    Core functionality for defining, managing, and deploying complex business rules used for one or many business processes across the organization

Document Transport and Routing Services
    Services that support evaluating where documents should be routed, and the underlying transport services to perform document delivery

Data Transformation Services
    Services that enable data to be transformed between the dramatically varying formats used by different business applications and trading communities, such as XML, EDI, RosettaNet, and many others

Process Automation and Management Services
    Services that support the integration of applications and data sources into streamlined business processes within and between organizations

Data Analysis Services
    Services for combining, accessing, and analyzing operational data through graphical tools and automated data mining utilities to discover patterns and spot trends

Configuration and Management Services
    Services that support automated monitoring, management, and administration of the production integration solution

Microsoft Windows Platform Integration Services
    Core platform services that support directory, data, security, and operating system interoperability scenarios for a heterogeneous enterprise infrastructure

Scalability Services
    Services that support scaling the integration solution up and out to address the volumes required by the largest enterprises

Security Integration Services
    Services that support seamless configuration of security credentials across heterogeneous enterprise domains

Consulting Planning Services
    QuickStart evaluation services that provide fixed time and cost programs that transfer knowledge, establish a working design and project plan, and complete lab installation of BizTalk Server 2004

Consulting Deployment Services
    Architectural guidance and available services that highlight the steps necessary to plan, test, and deploy the Microsoft EI solution into an environment based on the configuration required by the customer

...But then when isn't cost an issue...

We picked Lanham & cut 50 to 60 thousand dollars off the bill. But I still would have loved to have BizTalk

http://www.microsoft.com/biztalk
  • Options
    ...remember cost isn't an issue in this senario Biztalk & Navision Meet @ Commerce Gateway Granule:
    Commerce Gateway uses Microsoft Navision Application Server, XML schemas, and Microsoft BizTalk™ Server to map and trade business documents between Navision and other systems
  • Options
    so Biztalk is made for many types of trading partners not just edi.

I'm praying they day doesn't come when one our big trading partners say "You know EDI is outdated & inefficient. We're moving to XML or (some other way)" And if you want to do business you have to get up to speed"

well it looks like i put my 4 cents in :wink:
  • Options
    After doing some more reading it seems another component is needed in order to process EDI transactions smoothly - covost edi accelerator which doubles the price. Cost may become an issue if this is needed in this solution.

I'm also interested in using Biztalk if it can automate processes better when compared to Lanham.

I still don't see any real benefit to my company by using the biztalk solution as opposed to the Lanham.

Any comments about the two solutions? I am also more interested in implementing a biztalk solution.
  • Options
    Also, I know Our Lanham EDI Solution Comes with NO HELP. You can hit F1 till your blue in the face - nothing. We needed to pay our NSC to give us a lessons & we still needed them to help us with mappings. A handbook on setups would have been nice.

We use Lanhams Version1 which needs Sterling Commerce: Gentran Director (or some other EDI solution) to receive & send the docs to your partners. I hear the Newer Version does not require that...but that's a question for them.
  • Options
    How many hours did you go through for lessons and training? Is mapping difficult to setup for each partner and each document?

Biztalk works the same way you still need an EDI Internet solution to transport documents.
  • Options
    Ian_piddigntonIan_piddignton Member Posts: 92
    Further to this. I don't think BizTalk 2004 currently works with Attain 3.70. you need to use BizTalk 2002.

Regards

Ian
  • Options
    We have tech support from our NSC for eveything except EDI. They didn't cover EDI and without any help I guess it's a way to generate extra $$$ because at some point you will need their help. Maybe you NSC has it covered? Anyway....

I had our NSC do mappings for one of our biggest clients:

810- Invoice (out from Navision)
    850- Purchase Orders (In to Navision)
    856-Advanced Ship Notice (out from Navision)

I studied these and how they were done. I tried to make sence of it and wrote down any questions I had. Once I got an idea of what was happening I was ready for a lesson so I could do it myself with confidence. So in about half a day they covered all my questions and I was ready to venture off on my own.

What I have noticed is that most companies basically use very similar mappings and just move some starting & ending positions here & there.

So I am able to copy the mappings from the partner they did and just adjust them where necessary. It's not that difficult.

Since we have over 5000 products the hardest part was setting up the vendor's item number to match with our Item Number. Actually it's not really hard just tedious.

At first if something went wrong it seemed like a nightmare trying to find the problem. Now that i've been using it for over a year it's a breeze. I know what can go wrong, where to find it & how to fix it. Problems don't usually happen but I can't say they never happen.

I probably spend 10 to 15 mins on EDI a day.

In the morning I receive my PO's.
    Import the doc into Navision.
    Create Sales Orders
    Print Picking tickets.
    At the end of the day
    I export a invoice & ASN text file.
    Import it into Gentran & send.

Pretty simple and if it makes our partners happy then it makes us happy :wink:
  • Options
    Savatage,

It sounds like you have a good system in place. Kind of convincing me to go with the Lanham product. Although training didn't sound too good but I imagine training with either solution will not be simple. But it sounds like it does the job well.

Too bad Microsoft Business Network isnt running EDI yet. They have a solution coming out that will cost very little and will probably eliminate all VAN's. I wonder if that product will be able to be tied into Navision. Unforutnaly we need to change solutions now and not 6 months from now.