Options

SQL Security Model

rocatisrocatis Member Posts: 163
edited 2007-06-08 in SQL General
What's the difference between the two SQL Security Models, Standard and Extended?

Apart from the fact that Extended is slooooooooooow (sometimes several days!) and Standard is fast, the only difference seems to be that users can be synchronized independently when using the Extended model.

However, as synchronizing of a single user with Extended takes waaay longer than synchronizing all users with Standard, I really can't see the point of Extended at all.

Am I missing something?
Brian Rocatis
Senior NAV Developer
Elbek & Vejrup

Comments

• Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    The extended security model has also security in SQL. So the user can access those tables with other programs. With Standard, the security is only maintained in Navision and the user cannot access the DB with other programs.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    Yes, extended security model it’s really slow. But taking day to synchronize some times is related to deadlock, I already got a few during synchronization.

If you can use standard security model, I definitely would recommend it.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    The difference is described in the documentation which is shipped witht he SP3.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    rocatisrocatis Member Posts: 163
    kine wrote:

Found it - thanks! It's however worth mentioning that the documentation is only available on the WW version. I haven't found it on any of the localized installation cds yet #-o
    Brian Rocatis
    Senior NAV Developer
    Elbek & Vejrup
  • Options
    borjaghborjagh Member Posts: 19
    rocatis wrote:
    kine wrote:

Found it - thanks! It's however worth mentioning that the documentation is only available on the WW version. I haven't found it on any of the localized installation cds yet #-o

I 'd also like to read that document, but don't find the SP3 disk. Is that document on partnerguide? how can I find it?
    Thank you.
  • Options
    borjaghborjagh Member Posts: 19
    borjagh wrote:
    rocatis wrote:
    kine wrote:

I 'd also like to read that document, but don't find the SP3 disk. Is that document on partnerguide? how can I find it?
    Thank you.

Found w1w1isql.pdf of Nav 5.0 CD, I think here I'll find what I need to learn about security model. Thanks