Process to Remove Duplicate Contacts

JWL5537JWL5537 Member Posts: 36
Does anyone know of a way to mass remove duplicate contacts? There is a recognized issue where a new contact of Business type is created when a personal contact in Outlook contains a blank full name field. This creates duplicate contacts whenever syncronization occurs. Thanks in advance!
Readers are plentiful; thinkers are rare.

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    first off you have to find a way of recognizing all the duplicates.

Is this blank field something they & they alone have in common?
  • JWL5537JWL5537 Member Posts: 36
    The blank full name field is what creates the duplicates from the user's outlook. I know Navision can pick up duplicates based on the search string. I'm just searching for a way to mass remove the "duplicates" that the system has found. Guess this will be a manual process.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Run the contact table from object designer filter on the contacts you want to delete. Select all and delete them.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    The hard part was trying to identify in the table which contacts were duplicates and which one's were not. There were some fields that were filled in on the table that identified the duplicates. Thanks for all the help guys!
    Navision has a feature that identifies dublicates.

Sales & Receivables->Marketing->Periodic activity->Duplicates.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

Thanks. I am aware of the duplicates screen. However, removing the duplicates is a totally different matter especially when you have thousand of duplicates. It would be nice if there was a function built into that form to remove the duplicate contact. However, you have to go into each individual card and delete it. This can become quite time consuming.
    It will take a 10 min job to do the Mod. I suggest to contact your NSC to do it.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

If the fix in the codes doesn't fix the syncronization problem and creates the duplicates all over again, we go that route. Thanks for the insight.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Sound like your outlook needs some cleaning up too. :lol:

Perhaps a "Awaiting Verification" boolean field on the contact card could be created.

It sounds like more BS accounts are created than actual real new accounts. Then someone can uncheck all the actual accounts and then you could filter on the rest for easy deletion.

Either a Select all-> delete or a report that auto deletes all the contacts that still have checksmarks.

Just a thought.

I have an older version before all the cool outlook sync stuff. It shouldn't be hard as stated above by Ara3n - to stop all inserting of accounts that have a "specified blank field"
  • jenny123jenny123 Member Posts: 1
    It seems like you are looking for some simple and direct solution to remove duplicate contacts from Outlook. Let me suggest you one easy solution for the same. Try SysTools Outlook Duplicate Remover tool to remove duplicate contacts from Outlook without any hassle.