Options

What are the requirements for starting up your own NSC?

rivalenterprisesrivalenterprises Member Posts: 6
edited 2007-03-17 in General Chat
Hi everyone,

I'm a certified Nav 2.6 Developer and Project Mgr. I would like to know what are the current requirements to become an NSC. What is the monetary ($) cost involved in this?

Also, can you do training as a consultant (e.g. on NAV 5, etc.) without being an NSC?

Can I, as a "standalone" consultant, get my own developer's license? How much does that cost?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    PhennoPhenno Member Posts: 630
    Hi everyone,

Can I, as a "standalone" consultant, get my own developer's license? How much does that cost?

Thanks!

For this I have the answer... No.
  • Options
    Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    Cash, patience and good nerves... :)

...otherwise ask a local MS representative, as the de facto requirements tend to vary between countries and in your case it might be that even between states. I've seen 2-people partners with no exams getting a licence in Hungary - probably they are taking the requirements much more seriously in the US.
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Phenno wrote:
    Hi everyone,

Thanks!

For this I have the answer... No.

If you always work directly for a partner, you can use its license.
    If you want to work for end customers, you have a problem...

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    p.willemse6p.willemse6 Member Posts: 216
    Not anymore. At this moment, Microsoft enables freelancers to have their own license. Friend of mine just got it, even had the possibility to adminster an add-on...
  • Options
    I wouldn't like this ... I wouldn't want a freelancer §è#@-ing around with our add-on ... . [-X

I doubt this.

If a freelancer can get a developer license that easy, then it is very easy for an end customer to obtain a developer license, isn't it ... :-k

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    True. Can't tell you the conditions, but the fact is there. Friend of mine is a freelancer, serving 4 customers on his own who have a NSC for their upgrade fees. He now has his own license, enabling him to customize NAV.

Don't know what he can and can't do with the license. For sure he can build his own add-on because he did, in fact, we are selling it (workflow solution).

If you want to, I can give you a PM so you can contact him...
  • Options
    btw: with a NSC license, you can not get into certified add-ons which are not specificely added to your license, so that won't happen...
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Probably just a special case. But I highly doubt that once your friend's license expires, Microsoft will renew it.
  • Options
    There is an official contract type for this. It took him about two months, and is pretty new. Especially the add-on registration took some time, because the dutch product manager couldn't believe it either... Seems to be something like the former service partner agreement which was killed in 2001...

I'll dig up the info, and let you know...
  • Options
    deadlizard wrote:
    Probably just a special case. But I highly doubt that once your friend's license expires, Microsoft will renew it.

I'll also ask for the first term of the contract.

Let it be clear: it is not a case of mailing a friend at MS, and getting a license. There are some clear contracts to be signed...
  • Options
    Waldo wrote:

If a freelancer can get a developer license that easy, then it is very easy for an end customer to obtain a developer license, isn't it ... :-k

Nice one, I'll have to think about this one 8-[
  • Options
    I don't believe Microsoft will let it come this far ...

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    Got many PM's, not gonna reply to them one by one, here's the whole story:
    first, I personally think this is a thing the "classic" divisions set up because MBS is not happy about it:
    how my friend found it, and did this, is the following:
    The contract is called an Independend Software Developer Contract. He did the following:
    He is a subscriber of MSDN enterprise (don't know if this is necessary, just the way it worked here). Within this MSDN subscription, he found a form to request also a developers license for NAV. He had to go through several procedures with the EOC in Ireland, in which he had to state his intentions. For example. he had to make sure he is an IT compampany who uses this for his customers, not for internal use. After the procedures, he finally received his own license. Total duration about 2 months.
    Registring an add-on was a bit more diffcult, because product management NL could not believe a one person business was allowed to do this. He finally got this done also.

There was also a question about the contract duration: 2 years....
  • Options
    ...intentions. For example. he had to make sure he is an IT compampany who uses this for his customers, not for internal use.

There you go. The license is for your friends IT company. Not for himself.
  • Options
    he has a one person company, whats the difference? anyone can start one in the netherlands, you and me also....
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    What's to stop an end-user from setting up their IT manager as a 1 person company and obtaining a license?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    good question dont't know. I only know he had to write a (big) piece of text about his intentions... but anyone can do this.... maybe someoneat Microsoft will check the companies background?

can't tell you because I only know one case, maybe someone should just try also...
  • Options
    To start a NSC, you need to have certified Navision developer, certified applications guy, and a certfied SQL person. Then you need 3 Navision customer references.

I'm not sure how you can get 3 customer references before you get the license, but it's in the requirements.