Options

RecId Negatives!!

pedroparrapedroparra Member Posts: 58
edited 2007-01-25 in Dynamics AX
Hi all,

I have a question about my axapta installation. I have noticed that in one of our company accounts we have recId negatives like '-119728071'.

In all other accounts the recIds seems to be positive so this seem a bit strange.

I am a bit scared about something going wrong. Is the fact of recId being negatives a dangeraous thing? Actually our Axapta application is working well without problems.

Thank you

Pedro

Comments

• Options
    JoseQJoseQ Member Posts: 7
    Hi Pedro:

I had the same problem and for us was very dangerous because
    we have Galaxy (interface done by Columbus) and extrains
    things happened. We decided run "Check rec Id" (in menu
    Administration, Periodic, SQL administration) and it solved
    the issue (we use an non-productive hour for that).

If you want run it, make a backup first!.
    \:D/
  • Options
    insideDynamicsinsideDynamics Member Posts: 4
    Pedro,

having negative recId's is not dangerous. The RecId is a 32 bit integer which leaves approx. 2.1 billion positive number and 2.1 billion negative number for the RecId.

In the "old days" (read: in the time of XAL - before Axapta) I believe that recId's could only be positive - this caused a number of issues in partner developed Axapta modules because they only checked if recId > 0 instead of recId != 0. This was 5+ years ago, so I don't know if this is what happened with JoseQ and his experience with Galaxy?

Cheers,

H. Jaeger
    Edenbrook Ltd.
  • Options
    panwar_satishpanwar_satish Member Posts: 1
    Negative RecId is not a problem at all.

Cheers.
  • Options
    HarishHarish Member Posts: 172
    Hi Pedro,

It is fairly common in large installations and not so large installations to see negative rec ids. If you haven't already done so, please try running "Check record Id" from Administration -> Periodic -> SQL administration.

Before running this in production server do please make sure to run this in test environment.

Just curious - how big is your installation?

Hope this helps,
    Harish Mohanbabu
    Long way to go before I sleep..
  • Options
    HarishHarish Member Posts: 172
    Pedro,

A while back Helmut posted about renumbering RecIds in his blog which makes an interesting read - http://axaptafreak.blogspot.com/2005/08 ... ecids.html
    Harish Mohanbabu
    Long way to go before I sleep..
  • Options
    pedroparrapedroparra Member Posts: 58
    Hi Harish,

Our Axapta installation is medium size I think. About 30-40 users and our data base is about 12 gigabytes.

Futhermore Harish, was you who made me the phone test at Howden in Glasgow?

I was there for a job interview and someone called Harish made me the Axapta skills interview by phone!

Best Regards

Pedro Rodriguez