New forum for german speaking only ;-)

Timo_LässerTimo_Lässer Member Posts: 481
edited 2004-01-14 in Feedback
Due to the results of the last :arrow: On-line Survey I suggest a forum for german speaking people.
17. Where do you live?
Germany 47 17%
Netherlands 27 10%
United States 25 9%
Denmark 13 5%
United Kingdom 13 5%
Belgium 12 4%
India 12 4%
Sweden 12 4%
Spain 11 4%
France 10 4%
Italy 10 4%
Portugal 9 3%
South Africa 8 3%
Australia 6 2%
Canada 6 2%
Iceland 5 2%
Other 51 18%
Timo Lässer
Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer since 1997
MSDynamics.de - German Microsoft Dynamics Community - member of [clip]

Comments

• eromeineromein Member Posts: 589
    Timo,

Besides the fact that most of the people (outside Germany and France) speak (or read at the least) English this is a very "uneuropean" suggestion because...

Germany had only 17%

If you would take a closer look you can see the following:

1.) Other is 18%. I think the people in the other category speak better English then they do German.

2.) United States (9%), United Kingdom (5%), Australia (2%) and Canada (2%) have 18% together as well. Another reason to keep it English as you pointed out yourself by posting your message.

3.) 83% of the visitors do not come from Germany! Ouch… Germany is not the biggest here.

4.) Don't you think you should, at least, try to keep everything in one language so you "bundle" as much knowledge as we all can?

5.) You (and the French) should really, really, really, really try to communicate with the rest of the world. There is in fact a world beyond your German borders.
    [/list]
    "Real programmers don't comment their code.
    If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand."
  • Timo_LässerTimo_Lässer Member Posts: 481
    Thank you for your quick reply :wink:

I know that english is the most spoken / readed language.
    I suggest this because of the forum folder.gifNavision Dutch speaking only. (The Netherlands only has 10%.)
    But this was only a suggestion and I'm not offended if this suggestion will not be realised.
    Timo Lässer
    Timo,

I'm not the webmaster!

I'm just another visitor with an oppinion....

And you are right about the dutch forum, that's why I made the "delete or not to delete" post in that forum. I think it should be deleted as well...

Btw, It wasn't being used anyway...
    eromein wrote:
    [...]
    I'm not the webmaster!

I'm just another visitor with an oppinion....
    [...]

Oops... I think I have mixed up some names :oops: :roll:
    I think this is based on your many posts and you also come from Netherlands.

I should know that Luc van Dyck is the webmaster.

Hey Luc! What do you think about this? :wink:
    Timo Lässer
    Luc is from belgium :lol:
    I capitulate :lol: :roll:
    Timo Lässer
  • Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Here is your webmaster speaking ;-)

It is no problem to create extra, non-english forums, but the point is whether they are going te be used. Those non-english forums are created to discuss country-specific issues, but the actual discussions are mostly not country related. So you end up with a) a non-english chit chat forum or b) a forum where interesting things are said, but what is not readable for the whole community.

End-users will probably gain with a forum in their native language to ask support questions. But as most of the visitors are developers, I think English is the language to discuss programming topics. Starting from Navision 3.10, all table- and fieldnames are in English, with a non-english caption.

And it is indeed a shame that so many requests on partnerguide are written in German, Spanish or Russian. We where told in Belgium to always use English for support requests ... so why not everywhere?

Just my 2 cents.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
    [...]
    So you end up with a) a non-english chit chat forum or b) a forum where interesting things are said, but what is not readable for the whole community.
    You're right! In this case, I agree with Emiel Romein:
    eromein wrote:
    that's why I made the "delete or not to delete" post in that forum
    :arrow: delete or not delete
    End-users will probably gain with a forum in their native language to ask support questions. But as most of the visitors are developers, I think English is the language to discuss programming topics. Starting from Navision 3.10, all table- and fieldnames are in English, with a non-english caption.
    Here I also agree with you. I think my english is better than your german, ... although I know that I definitely make some terrible mistakes. :wink:
    And it is indeed a shame that so many requests on partnerguide are written in German, Spanish or Russian. We where told in Belgium to always use English for support requests ... so why not everywhere?
    You forgot Frensh :wink:
    Sometimes, you find a excellent match in partnerguide for exactly your problem (in the Subject) but the whole text is in Spanish, French, Russian,... :evil:

Now, I feel confident that this community doesn't need any non-english forums.
    Timo Lässer
    Sometimes, you find a excellent match in partnerguide for exactly your problem (in the Subject) but the whole text is in Spanish, French, Russian,...

I'm sure everyone that ever search the partnerguide has a little smile on his or her face after reading your statement. :wink: