Options

So, from today, no more help in e-mail

Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
edited 2006-10-20 in General Chat
During the summer, I got at least 2 requests for help each day in e-mail and on MSN, because somebody saw some of my posts or downloads and contacted me to help either with some standard features, or programming, or with one of my downloads. Now here in the autumn it's bit rarer - once a week - , but still happens.

Now I had enough. These forums are the place to ask for help. If for some reason you want help specifically from me - because it's very urgent or it's about a topic I gave advice about to someone else here, or it's about a download of mine etc. - , open the topic or write in that topic associated with the download and send a link to me in e-mail, that's fine.

But ask the question here on these forums, not in e-mail.

The reason is very simple: 1) others can also answer, you'll get more feedback from more viewpoints 2) when others ask the same question, we can just paste the link to the original topic.

No more support in e-mail and over MSN. Seriously. These forums were meant for that. No reason to workaround it.

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    The main reason I think send messages directly is because they think they get a faster response.
    I have received the kind of messages and it defitely agree that they should post online.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You are not alone... :D
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    edited 2006-10-11
    For this reason I have removed my MSN and Yahoo id's from my profile. It was driving me nuts :?

Miklos, you need to change your flag. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    For this reason, from the beginning, I only have a PM in my profile, and I still get loads of questions that should be put in the forum.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Fortunately I don't get that many questions through pm, probably because usually I simply reply to post the question in the forum. I may have ticked a few people off that way, but I don't want to be everybody's free consultant ("I have written an add-on, will you look at my code?").

I really enjoy helping people, and I spend a lot of time on this forum, but I don't like it when peole try to get me to do their work. It's one thing to be asked to get involved in a collaborative effort that will end up on the forum as a download, but it's crossing the line when you get asked specific questions about something that they don't want to spend money on professional advice, or they don't want to pay for a code review.
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Remember that simply ignoring the request is also an option. I have added an explanation in my signature, so they can't tell they didn't knew.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    Remember that simply ignoring the request is also an option. I have added an explanation in my signature, so they can't tell they didn't knew.
    Good idea!
    I just copied your to put in my signature. I hope I don't have to pay royalties for it :lol:
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    Great idea, Luc! I've updatd my profile as well. Although the font size tags don't seem to work in the preview... will have to see the submitted post to decide...
  • Options
    Grrr. Didn't work. Any ideas on how to set small font size for the sig block?
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Did you try
    [size=9]

and
    [/size]

No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    Thanks. This pseudo-HTML is driving me crazy! :D