Options

Employee Portal

bobnavisionbobnavision Member Posts: 159
edited 2006-03-31 in Navision e-Commerce
Hi,

Could any one please let me know which are the real time situations where we can use employee portal

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    For example some worker which task is to keep adresses of the customers up-todate. He need to change only Adresses (post code, city, street adress, contact name etc.).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Still not very clear, why would that be so beneficial to a client.
  • Options
    It is good when you need only thin client for limited access of people, which do not need to know how to work with Navision...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Hi Kine,

Can a user access it from anywhere through internet

Regards
  • Options
    Yes, you can public part of SharePoint to internet, but you need to think about security, because it an be company critical data... (but mainly the SharePoint and NEP are Intranet solutions)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    We have a client that has salespeople around the country that uses this to get their reports and sales information. This is especially important since the salespeople have no desire to learn Navision, however, are used to the web.

You can also customize their look and feel without having to mess with other softwares like Remote Desktop or Citrix. This makes it easier to manage your software vendors without having all the different maintainence and support problems.
  • Options
    derekderek Member Posts: 22
    ..but if users are not a domain users. Could i use employee portal for business partners? Is this scenario even possible?
  • Options
    To use SharePoint you need to be authenticated. If you can use something like Federation in Win 2k3 server R2 I do not know. But of course it needs to both sides run the win 2k3 server R2 with Federation services... :-/
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    derekderek Member Posts: 22
    Sorry for inexact question. I try again.

Let say the destination is to offer wss and navision for well-known customers. In this situation: we could share material on wss and customers could made a own orders to navision.

Wss could handling users who are identified with a Active Directory account creation mode, but how about navision act on this? Is the user login format such as it could use in navision? Somehow i have to tell navision what are the users rights of use. What is the format for user login name when i use account creation mode ? domain\user or something else?

So, the main question is: what are the tricks to authenticate external users so, as they are like internal / intranet users? Have to i buy something like external connector?
  • Options
    May be I do not answer exactly your question, but I will write what I know. To be able to use NEP, you need some domain account. This account must be able to use the SharePoint (I do not know exactly all the conditions to be able to use SharePoint - but this is question about WSS). And the user must have permission to use NEP - it means, you need to enter the user into some group in Navision. But to be able to add the user into the group, the user must exists in Windows logins in Navision. It means, the user must have access directly into Navision.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Sorry Kine but I did not get it. Are we saying that if User 'A' is under the company's domain and also in Navision windows login.
    And we publicise a part of share point then User 'A' can use this part from anywhere in the world.

Also I do not know how to publicise SharePoint.

Regards
  • Options
    Yes, if the user A is domain user and has account in Navision and the SharePoint is accessible from internet, the user A can connect to the NEP... of course it means that all company data he can see are transfered over internet without any security and that SharePoint can be used to hack into your system...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.