Any Open Source fans out there? :)

ShenpenShenpen Member Posts: 386
edited 2006-01-09 in General Chat
I'm just wondering, that of we, who are making a living of hacking a Microsoft product, how many are actually Open Source/Linux fans in our free time, like me :)

Do It Yourself is they key. Standard code might work - your code surely works.

Comments

• rvduurenrvduuren Member Posts: 92
    Hello Shenpen,

Well, you found one here.. I'm a big linux fan and I’m using Ubuntu at home. Ubunto is an OS consisting entirely of free and open source software, and it Rulez, it's my favo OS. http://www.ubuntulinux.org.
    I haven't jointed any Open Source project so far, but I want to some day..
    --
    Windows is als een magnetronmaaltijd. Linux moet je zelf koken maar dan is het tenminste wel te vreten!
    Met vriendelijke groet, best regards,

Rvduuren
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I like Linux and OpenSource too... :-) I like alternatives... and there are still better and better applications...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I'm gonna give Ubuntu a look..
    I'm a big linux fan and I’m using Ubuntu at home.

I have Linux machines w/ OpenOffice n' such too.
  • ShenpenShenpen Member Posts: 386
    I am also using Ubuntu on my notebook. Ubuntu is said to be ultra-cool, there a big hype around it. Actually, what I have found if you want to use it just for basic things, it will be really cool, as it is very good in hardware recognition etc. But on the other hand, some software such as Skype ain't available even from the multiverse repository, you gotta dig, dig, dig and finally find it in a forum topic that a Debian package for Skype modified for Ubuntu is available from some personal website. And still no Firefox 1.5 in the repository. Sigh... I am now a little bit tired of installing another distro every month in order to find the best one (UHU ->Gentoo -> Ubuntu), but I think next time it will be Fedora. I have seen it at a friend and just looks very usable. And if nothing else helps, then maybe I gonna do what the pro's always advised me and a give a try to Debian.

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Is navision not a little open source? O:)
    No, because 1) you can't modify fin.exe (although it seems the share it with some partners: for example, there is a POS solution where the toolbar has been removed) 2) source is only shared with partners and clients who buy the development granules.

So it could be defined as "semi-shared source" :)

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    You can disable the Toolbar via View-->Toolbar

We do it also for POS (Touchscreen).
    You don't assume they did it programatically by sending keypresses tru Windows Scripting Host? :D:D:D