SQL License Question

slmaluwaslmaluwa Member Posts: 358
Sorry, forgive my ignorance. I could get this right in my mind.
Customer will have 50 NAV2018 users in an On-Prem environment. One SQL2019 server on Windows 2022 server. Another separate Windows server 2022 for Navision Application Server. Only NAV accesses the SQL using a single windows domain user name. May be one or two PCs will access SQL for development purposes.

Now, how many Device CAL I buy with SQL 2019 Standard only for this purpose??
5 Device CAL ? or 100 ?
"A bove maiore discit arare minor"-"From the old ox, the young one learns to plow."

Best Answer

• TheJBirdTheJBird Member Posts: 16
    Answer ✓
    Even though it's accessing indirectly, it still needs a CAL.
    Users and Devices accessing the SQL software indirectly through another application or hardware device will still need a CAL.

Answers

How many computers in use? With device CALs, you need one per computer.

User CALs are one per user.

For example, you could have 50 users who work shifts and have 10 computers. In this scenario you would need 10 device CALs.

Sometimes it may be cheaper to have User CALs. As for example if those 50 users have both laptop and desktop, then that gives 100 device CALs v 50 user CALs.
  • slmaluwaslmaluwa Member Posts: 358
    TheJBird wrote: »
    How many computers in use? With device CALs, you need one per computer.

User CALs are one per user.

For example, you could have 50 users who work shifts and have 10 computers. In this scenario you would need 10 device CALs.

Sometimes it may be cheaper to have User CALs. As for example if those 50 users have both laptop and desktop, then that gives 100 device CALs v 50 user CALs.

But, for SQL. Only the NAV service access the sql server is confuses me.
    "A bove maiore discit arare minor"-"From the old ox, the young one learns to plow."
    Answer ✓
    Even though it's accessing indirectly, it still needs a CAL.
    Users and Devices accessing the SQL software indirectly through another application or hardware device will still need a CAL.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    It is the end connection that counts as the user\device. For example, if you have 100 user/devices that connect thru a single Remote Desktop Server, you need 100 CALs. Not 1.

There are no bugs - only undocumented features.