Options

BC License Backward Compatibility

TGlenstrupTGlenstrup Member Posts: 3
I have tried googling and searching this forum but was unable to find a clear answer so i hope i am not reposting a previously asked question and if so then please point to the old post :)

Is there any documentation or clear answer from Microsoft in regards to the backward compatibility of BC licenses? I need to know if a future BC 17 License will work on a BC14 Just like a NAV 2018 License worked on very old NAV Versions like 3.70 and below.

The reason I ask is that several of our customers prefers the classic client for now and are asking us to upgrade their licenses before an upgrade project is determined meaning that we would need to ask Microsft for Compensation time several times before the upgrade project is finished as this will not be done within the 180 days Microsoft allows before the old license is locked.

I hope that someone has a link to any documentation from Microsoft regarding this or if someone could point me in the right direction where i should ask this question if the documention doest exists.

Answers

• Options
    JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    Why upgrade license if not needed?
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog
  • Options
    The reason for this case is that the customer wants to use the classic client for different reasons including keyboard shortcuts and as this is no longer possible in BC15 and beyond they want the BC14 license.

Thank you for the link as this will give us at least 1 more year to upgrade the customer. Question is if a BC18 or BC19 license will work on a BC14 database but only time will tell i guess unless someone can give me a clear answer regarding backward compatibality.
  • Options
    JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    You just upgrade to 14 and stay there.
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog
  • Options
    Yes but the upgrade wont happen until next year and will take some time due to analysis and customer modifications in their current nav2009 database.