Where is the security model setting in NAV 2018?

asmilie2b3asmilie2b3 Member Posts: 39
I must have missed something in between versions, but we have just moved to 2018 and I cannot locate the security model setting that used to be on the Advanced tab of the Alter Database screen. When making changes to tables it is giving online users permission errors and other obscure errors. Before we used to be able to change the security model from "Enhanced" to "Standard" which meant we could make table changes without needing to schedule it outside of hours if necessary.

Answers

• asmilie2b3asmilie2b3 Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for that.
    So then, if there is no setting for the security model any more, is there now way to be able to drop in tables without affecting the logged in users?
    It would not be an issue if it was giving an error for just users accessing the table modified. It actually affects users even if not using the table modified. Everyone receives an error. I will try and get a copy of the error and paste back here.
    I have an example now of this. I made a change tot he service line table while users where on the system. One of the users received the attached error. "The definition of the vendor table has changed". This is bizare as I have not modified the vendor table at all. It is as if the system is recompiling all objects that are related through code.
    cwd6mrzq0dtw.png
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    edited 2018-09-12
    Modification of object affects other objects which are based or it or include references to modified object.

If you modified the Service Line the metadata for it object must be updated in places where it is used, so if you have a variable based on Service Line table in the code in Vendor table, or if you reference Service Line in a flowfield defined on Vendor table, NAV 'crashes' objects in NST memory based on Vendor table to force reloading updated metadata for referenced modified Service Line table

It may not be stated in the documentation but from my experience this is how it seems to work, and, to me, it makes sense.

The error message is not very precise indeed.
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
    I can understand it for sure, however NAV 2013 did not cause any issues for the user except if they were on the object modified. So I was wondering if there are settings for it. I guess though this is by design and we will just have to make the changes outside of hours.
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    Maybe NAV 2013 should cause issues, and the fact it didn't was an oversight or error? Maybe the new code capabilities, like events, in newer versions forced the system to be more picky about metadata changes.

We also have a policy to load fobs after hours, especially when they include tables.
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03