NAS not printing

Est005Est005 Member Posts: 29
Hi there,

I have a problem with printing through NAS. I have setup the printer for the NAS user in the Printer Selection table. If I log into to the system using the NAS user login details, I can print just fine, but as soon as NAS gets to the code where the report is suppose to print, it just hangs, I cannot stop the service and get a message saying that NAS will stop once it is done processing, I have to go to the task manager and end the nassql.exe process in order to stop the service. Any ideas as to why this is happening would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    Disable the request form and any form pop ups within the report (error, message,...) - NAS can't handle any GUI.
  • kylehardinkylehardin Member Posts: 257
    Since NAS is hanging and not getting an error, I don't think this is a GUI problem, although check the windows event log on the server where NAS is running.

Printing requires a Windows profile to work. Try this:

Stop NAS Service
    Log onto the NAS server system using the same exact Windows account that the NAS service is configured to use - this step gets you a Windows profile created
    Add the printer you are trying to use and print a test page to it
    Log out Start NAS Service

It should print now.
    Kyle Hardin - ArcherPoint
  • Est005Est005 Member Posts: 29
    Hi guys,

Thanks for replying so quickly. It's not a GUI problem, there are no errors in the event log, I did put a message in the code just before the Report.RUN command, that is the last thing showing in the event log. I have configured the printer for the profile and set it as default. I can print a test page as well. I log in to NAV using the NAS user and can print reports just fine. Here is some more info.

Running Windows 2008 x64, SQL Server 2008. The NAS version I am running is 4 SP3 with the Vista fix, I have set this up before on the same type of environment without any issues.

Thanks again to everyone replying to this.
  • Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    One of my colleagues had the same issue recently: printing reports through NAS on Windows 2008 server 64-bit did not work. It was resolved by installing the NAS on a 32-bit OS.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
    The thing is that I have done this in a test environment with exactly the same system., and it worked just fine. Will carry on looking for a solution, will post when/if I find it.
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    As I wrote many times, the NAS is a simple client without the GUI so there really is no need for a fancy server platform (especially a 64bit one). The fancier the platform the more likely it is that the NAS won't run or have problems. In fact MS suggest that it should not be installed on any server especially not the one that the DB runs on.

Try installing it on a simple Win XP/Vista PC.
    Hi,

Thank you all for the replies. I have found the problem, it was a actually very simple. I was logged into the Remote Desktop to the server, using the same user that NAS was using, once I logged out, NAS could start printing. I don't know why it did that, perhaps someone would have an explanation.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.
  • shyamraooshyamraoo Member Posts: 38
    edited 2018-09-10
    Hi,

I am also facing exact same issue. The NAS service hangs when trying to run the report but when run manually it works fine. I have provided same NAS service account in default printer selection. the Service account has required permission in Server:Sysadmin, SQL:DB owner and NAV: Super user.

Can someone help on this?

Thanks,
    Shyam Kumar N
    Regards,

N.Shyam Kumar