Problem in doing the Data Encryption Using "Always Encrypted" functionality in Navision

I have created table "PAN" in Navision dev environment, in SQL management studio i did encryption for the one of the field in the PAN table,

then later if I run the table form RTC i am getting the following error

Table content in the PAN table on SQL Server contains a value that is not compatible with the corresponding data type that is defined for the table.

Field: PAN_Number
Type: Code
SQL type: varbinary

The table design may have been changed outside Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

Page Edit - PAN must close.

how i can solve this problem??

Answers

• Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    edited 2018-04-24
    Updating NAV table via SQL is generally not supported and not recommmended. NAV has built in validation which prevent certain charactes/values to be stored in the table. By writting table outside NAV you are bypasing those validations, and in your case you have stored values in the table which NAV cannot read back.

The problem can be sorted by reverting the encrypted column back to the orignal valued or by clearing column content.

Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • NavNabNavNab Member Posts: 181
    Despite what @Slawek_Guzek already explained, if you still want to do it SQL way and if you're 100% sure of what you're doing... then for your case I believe that you have to UPPERCASE the data in your column (because type Code in NAV is an alphanumeric field and always in uppercase)
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    I don't think that uppercasing column data will help in this case.
    The table design may have been changed outside Microsoft Dynamics NAV.
    The more correct sentence would be The table design may have been changed outside Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03