New Sections for New Tech?

JDVyskaJDVyska Member Posts: 179
When 2009/RTC came out, the "Three Tier" forum was spun up since it was dramatically different from Classic.

Could we please get a new section for Extensions/AL?

Might even be useful to have sections for Dynamics 365, as well as Web/Mobile Client, but those I'm not feeling as strongly about.

I'd be happy to help work through thread history to migrate threads there if that's a factor.
JEREMY VYSKA
CEO, Spare Brained Ideas, Göteborg, Sweden
New (April 2021) Getting Started with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Book Available: "Your First 20 Hours with Business Central"

Best Answer

Answers

• JDVyskaJDVyska Member Posts: 179
    JEREMY VYSKA
    New (April 2021) Getting Started with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Book Available: "Your First 20 Hours with Business Central"
    Good call. I'll mark it done. My suggested forum breakouts, btw, are:

- AL Programming
    - Extensions (distinct from above to cover the business process, some of the extension development methods, deploying, upgrading, etc)
    - Business Central Cloud
    - Business Central On-Premise

I still also think we need separate sections also for:
    - Web Client
    - Mobile Client
    - PowerShell

These are distinct enough with lots of various limitations that finding help on these topics can be tricky.
    JEREMY VYSKA
  • RemkoDRemkoD Member Posts: 100
    Separation between NAV development and NAV deployment could be considered too.
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    It is all good, however, people still ask about pages in NAV Classic Client section and forms in 3Tier.. Too many options may confuse even more...

just a random thought...
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
    Ouch. I see what you mean.
    JEREMY VYSKA
    I asked again, because now I'm starting to deal more and more with wanting to talk AL with folks here, but it's a hodge-podge if I'm trying to find AL specific solutions to working with, say, RecordRefs (an example). I get results from 10 years ago that aren't relevant.
    JEREMY VYSKA
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I just hit this discussion when I wanted to find something connected to BC OnLine (user management in BC Online) and I see after long time I was not here, that last section is still Three-tier as it was when I left this forum (unintentionally, just no enough free time). I think it is a must to make big split between BC and NAV and between AL development and C/Side. Because if I will search for e.g. using options datatypes in AL, I will be flooded by results for C/Side which could be irrelevant.

Please, add at least>

Business Central OnPrem
    Business Central OnLine
    AL Development

Thanks!
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Sent as feedback too...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Fingers crossed. I admit, I don't know who admins around here enough to know if this will ever get an answer. The moderators are great, but no idea if there's a captain at the helm (Luc's been inactive on the site since 2017 according to profile).
    JEREMY VYSKA
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    Luc also uses the administrator account.

Basically it is he and me who manage all. And we do that in our free time.

We had some idea for new categories, but MS keeps changing technologies so fast...
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

With the Classic AND RTC both going away in about 2-3 months, it'd still be pretty spiffy to have Web Client and Extension/AL specific forums.
    JEREMY VYSKA