Could not upgrade RDL on Report xxx, hexadecimal value 0x15, is an invalid character

lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
For a couple of month already we are encountering this error when importing REP207 as .txt :
Could not upgrade RDL on Report 207 Sales - Credit Memo.'', hexadecimal value 0x15, is an invalid character. Line 2878, position 64. The import stopped at line 7235.
We did we do/find out?
  1. Searching in REP207 we cannot find this character 0x15
  2. Seems to happen only on Windows 10 machines (our developers laptops). Doing this on our servers that run Windows Server 2012 R2 (and also previously on our laptops that ran Windows 8), this issue does not occur
  3. No issue when importing REP207 as .fob
  4. So our workaround is to create the .fob on our server and than import .fob on our laptop, but this is a nuisance.
  5. No problems with any of the other reports
Did any of you encounter this? Solutions? Tips?
Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
Never stop learning
Van Vugt's dynamiXs
Dutch Dynamics Community

Best Answer

Answers

• lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    Hi Jonathan,

Thanx for your suggestion, but, yes, I had done that before and no difference. No for text based or byte based compare.
    Actually, the first time I imported the object from .txt it was after I got my new laptop with Win 10 up and running, coming form Win 8. In then, updating my new NAV development setup on my laptop I did get the import error.

The funny thing is also that when I export it on my laptop and import it again I also get the error.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • archer89archer89 Member Posts: 337
    seems to be bug for me. could be that there is a problem with the import import stream and there the used encoding, when converting the imported fob file into internal used format. i suggest to notify microsoft, especially because it is a repeatable behavior.
    best regards
    Franz Kalchmair, MVP
    Alias: Jonathan Archer

please like / agree / verify my answer, if it was helpful for you. thx.
    Blog: http://moxie4nav.wordpress.com/
  • jhoekjhoek Member Posts: 216
    Today, we ran into the same issue. In our case, it was a Euro-sign in the Format property of one of the report's controls. The first line no. in the message refers to the RDL section only. When viewing the object as text, be sure to use an editor that can show characters outside of the normal, printable range.

Thanks to Luc for providing us with some useful cues, and thanks to colleague Teus for finding the culprit! ;-)
    Kind regards,

Jan Hoek
    Product Developer
    Mprise Products B.V.
  • MarkusWeilandMarkusWeiland Member Posts: 11
    I have the same issue. I create a new empty report. Export to Text and import unmodified again. I receive the error "Could not upgrade RDL on Report. Illegal character in path."
    I receive this issue, if I export from C/Side with Docker. If I try to import the Textfile into a "normal" installtion it works.
    Even if I export the Textfile from the "normal" installtion, the import into docker runs in that "illigal path" issue. although a import into the normal installation works fine.

Textcompare between the to files show no difference.

Does anybody why?