Options

Impact of changing the Dimension Value Table's "Name" Field

vivek4121vivek4121 Member Posts: 165
edited 2018-02-20 in NAV Three Tier
Hi All,

We have a requirement from one of our client where in they are using a dimension called "EMPLOYEE" and the Dimension Value Table contains the Employee code, Name.

Now upon verified they found that some of the Employees name is not completed in "Name" field of Dimension Value table and they want us to update the Name (Dimension Value Table's "Name" Field)

My question is do we have any impact of doing the same within NAV. If yes, please anyone can let me know the areas where it will probably gets impacted.

One thing which I checked in Test database is, it is changing the Posted entries "Dimension Value Name" field also (upon changing the Dimension Value name field)

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Options
    bharathnanbharathnan Member Posts: 92
    If you just want to increase of field length then its no problem but if you try to change the data type then it might cause error.you need to delete the entire data from that field before modifying it in all the tables before making some changes.'
    Warm regards,
    Bharath.k
  • Options
    Hi Bharathnan,

Here I mean to say is, that I need to update the existing data in "NAME" field of Dimension Value Table.

I need not to change the Data type & increase the field length of the Table Field.

Thanks
  • Options
    allenyyzhouallenyyzhou Member Posts: 142
    Hi

I just checked now (NAV 2017), don't see any risk to change the Dimension Value Name.
    1.Name is not include in table "Default Dimension"
    2.Name in table "Dimension Set Entry" is flow field.
    3.Even if there are somewhere else(like customized table) Name is a normal field, it is easily for you to update in a batch process.
  • Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    bharathnan wrote: »
    If you just want to increase of field length then its no problem

You might get surprised one day...

@vivek4121

Changing the field name in a table has no impact on NAV as long as you don't interface it to any external system. NAV code will work - unless some bits rely on field names, and the field names are hardcoded. It does not happen in Cronus, but do happen in customisations, unfortunately.

Once you have external apps getting or puting data NAV, they may, and they usually do rely on field names. Sometimes even simple things like exporting flat files including headers based on field names migh render external system relying on the names in the header to fail.

Sometimes NAV code reading data from external source and matching it by destination field name migh be affected as well.

Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • Options
    Hi allenyyzhou , Slawek_Guzek

Thanks a lot for your replies.

I checked with user and they want to use these dimension value "Name" field in "Jet reports".

Will further dig with him about the rationale of this and get back to you if required.

Best Regards!!
  • Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    There is one more thing to consider, which I forgot to mention. Future upgrades and code merges. Changing a field name in standard table will have quite a bit impact here, if not dramatic.

Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • Options
    vaprogvaprog Member Posts: 1,118
    @vivel4121

As you might have noticed from the answers you received so far, it is not clear from your inquiry what you actually want to change.
    • Do you need to change a field's name? : Don't! Change the field's caption instead.
    • Do you need to change the contents of the field named "Name? : There's no impact at all. But note, that this Name is associated with the table's primary key. Wherever this Dimension Value Code is used, the description (name) displayed likely will change accordingly.
    • Do you need to change the definition of the field named "Name"? : You need to check any usage of the field in all objects end determine, if your change makes a difference. If it does, you need to customize that object and escalate your search through all the objects by including whatever you changes in that object also. Like an avalanche, something simple as extending the length of a description field can cause the need for massive changes throughout the system.

Please tell us, which of these (or whatever else) you had in mind.
  • Options
    allenyyzhouallenyyzhou Member Posts: 142
    vaprog wrote: »
    @vivel4121

As you might have noticed from the answers you received so far, it is not clear from your inquiry what you actually want to change.
    • Do you need to change a field's name? : Don't! Change the field's caption instead.
    • Do you need to change the contents of the field named "Name? : There's no impact at all. But note, that this Name is associated with the table's primary key. Wherever this Dimension Value Code is used, the description (name) displayed likely will change accordingly.
    • Do you need to change the definition of the field named "Name"? : You need to check any usage of the field in all objects end determine, if your change makes a difference. If it does, you need to customize that object and escalate your search through all the objects by including whatever you changes in that object also. Like an avalanche, something simple as extending the length of a description field can cause the need for massive changes throughout the system.

Please tell us, which of these (or whatever else) you had in mind.

Yes, exactly, I thought he just want to change the content of the "Name" field.
  • Options
    Hi Vaprog / allenyyzhou,

I want to change the content (basically the data) in the "Name" field of Dimension Value table.

But Regarding the point - this Name is associated with the table's primary key.

I have checked from my end and found that "Name" field is part of Secondary Key and not associated with Table's primary key (Dimension Code, Code)

Thanks in advance!!