Purchasing a SSL Certificate

BartikBartik Member Posts: 9
Hi NAV ppl,

I've searched everywhere, but was not able to find a clear answer (please correct me if I am wrong, nothing would make me happier than someone pointing me to an article with an answer to my problem).

I have a virtual machine hosted on Microsoft Azure, this machine runs the Microsoft Dynamics NAV server which is pointing to a NAV database hosted in Azure SQL. Everything works fine with Windows authentication. I wish to switch the authentication type from Windows to NAVUserPassword, so the users can use username and password to connect from their laptops directly to the NAV server instance in Azure. I tried this with a self-signed certificate and successfully connected from a NAV client installed on my laptop to the server.

All is fine, right? Well, the problem is getting a valid SSL certificate. I don't want to use self-signed certificate since it is a production environment. My problem is finding out how to purchase the certificate, which certificate to choose and how to set it's properties.

Let's say I have the following attributes:
  • Machine Name : BLABLA
  • DNS Name displayed in Azure Portal : BLABLA.westeurope.cloudapp.azure.com

Since we are a very small organization, I wouldn't like to invest a lot of money into this certificate. Can you please help me with the following questions?
  1. Where do I buy the certificate from (direct link would be best)?
  2. Which certificate should I choose?
  3. With the attributes mentioned above, how do I configure the certificate?

Once I will have the certificate files (*crt, etc.), I am good...the problematic part is getting the actual certificate.

Thank you very much

Answers

• yukonyukon Member Posts: 361
    edited 2018-02-19
    Hi,

I'm not sure, you already get the solution from other. Btw, i try to answer on your question.

1.Where do I buy the certificate from (direct link would be best)?

You can buy from Comodo or GoDaddy or Digicert or buy from Azure market place. Price will be different upon provider. If you don't want to buy from them and want to use SSL, you can use letsencrypt but there has limitation for expire.

2. Which certificate should I choose?
    If you can buy the wildcard ssl cert, it's better than standard certificate. You can use it for other purpose.
    Some ssl provider can produce demo ssl before you buy it. So you can check with sales before you buy ssl.

3. With the attributes mentioned above, how do I configure the certificate?
    You can refer this link for configuration.

Regards,
    Make Simple & Easy
  • allenyyzhouallenyyzhou Member Posts: 142
    edited 2018-02-22
    Hi

We bought a certification for our client from Verisign(https://www.verisign.com/) 10 years before.
    Not for NAV but some other website, I forgot the cost, dozens of dollars a month? maybe.

I think you can access their website and find out the contact information and just ask.
    They will ask you to provide some information of your company and after certified, they will send you the certification and let you know how to install that in your server. Not difficult as I remembered.