Options

NAV 2018 Installation - Setup.EXE quits with no errors or warnings

Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
Hi All,

I am trying to install NAV 2018 on Windows 2016 Standard server. The trouble is that when I click Setup.exe from the root of the downloaded image file, it asks for elevated permissions, and granted that, it quits immediately with no errors or warnings. There is nothing left in Event Log either

I am trying to install NAV using my account, which is a member of local Administrator group, but it is not a member of Domain Admins or such.

Any clue please?

Slawek

Slawek Guzek
Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    guidorobbenguidorobben Member Posts: 157
    maybe use processmonitor/explorer to see what is happening?
  • Options
    edited 2017-12-15
    Tried that too. The setup.exe quits immediately after start, it just 'blinks' and goes from Process Explorer.

The trouble is that it does not leave any trace of what is causing it to quit. At least I am not aware of any log it could potentially write somewhere.
    Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    Anything in System Event log?
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog
  • Options
    Nope. Nothing. Nada. Ikke noget. Nichts. Nic. Null. Neither in System nor Application Event log.
    Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    Security Software playing with you, maybe.
    Sounds strange. When app crashes, there normally is a log in event log ???
  • Options
    Could be the antivirus, indeed.

The trouble is that I am "co-administering" the server, our IT is responsible for all the patches and security software on it, I can only play around the SQL / NAV installations. I can't touch the AntiVir or anything like that :( Our IT is very "possesive" and we cannot even have Admin on local PCs - exactly for that reason that someone could 'accidentally' stop antivirus services...

It is very frustrating as there is no starting point for any troubleshooting, any error message or log file, anything which could point me to right drection

In a bit of a desperation I have manually installed the .NET 4.6, and later the demo NAV 2018 database and the NST server services. But cannot do anything about the web client :(
    Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    Bummer. We need rights, to do our job.
    It could be a permission issue.
  • Options
    No, certainly not a permissions issue. I am a member of local Administrator group on the server, and can generally install things or modify server configuration.
    Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    Ok, didn’t understand that from your description.
  • Options
    tbkkltbkkl Member Posts: 6
    If the system does nothing at all I learned to check the "blocked" property. Maybe that helps :smile: (dlls and exe)
  • Options
    I have double-checked the Setup.EXE already, it's OK. But not the dlls.. I'll give it a go.

Do you know any method to check and eventually unblock them en-masse? I'd rather save myself manual traversing through the folders and checking each one individually...
    Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    tbkkltbkkl Member Posts: 6
    powershell is your friend on this one "Unblock-File". I think you have to loop the directory but that shouldn't be a big thing. and than you just call Unblock-File on those.
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Get-ChildItem -Path 'C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\' -Recurse | Unblock-File
    Replace the contents of Path with your directory name. This will unblock all the sub directory contents as well
  • Options
    Thanks @tbkkl and @davmac1

I have run the unblock against the entire DVD image. I have re-run the setup.exe but got pretty much the same nothing - setup.exe quits immediately after launching.

I've tried to start the WebClientDependencyInstaller.exe from the rood of DVD image and got this:
    WebClientDependencyInstaller.exe Information: 0 : WebClientDependencyInstaller exit code: 1 (FAILURE)

Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    The DVD comes with a 900 page plus pdf - did you check the dependencies.
    I have found some of the error messages are unhelpful and sometimes seem irrelevant
  • Options
    I cleared out the default ports and took the defaults and the web client comes up now - there is a separate webconfig file, but there may be other places that have port numbers.
    Until we have a better understanding, stay with the defaults.
  • Options
    I tried to instal NAV 2018 on the server where I have are a few NST servers already running: two NAV 2015, a couple of NAV 2017 run side by side at different CU levels. All sharing standard set of ports 7046+.

All runs OK, no problems.

The trouble with 2018 is that I have not changed anything. I have downloaded the GB mage, unzipped it to a folder on the local server drive, and tried to install it from there. And nothing happens. There are no errors message thrown, nothing in Event Log. Setup just quits silently.

I have installed the 2018 NST manually by installing the .NET4.6, and copying the Service folder and setting up the service with the PowerShell and sc.exe. The NST service seems to be working OK, starts cleanly with no apparent problems, connects to restored Cronus 2018 demo. It uses default ports through the port sharing like all other NST services.

After all of this manual setup the setup.exe still does not work, and I don't know how to install web client manually :(.

Slawek

Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    NavNabNavNab Member Posts: 181
    Hi @Slawek_Guzek

Check this for web client manual install. I did not try it for NAV 2018 (yet).

Maybe your DVD is corrupted, did you re download it ? My NAV 2018 W1 was installed smoothly without any problem - side by side with all versions sharing same ports (NAV 2009 R2..NAV2017)
  • Options
    Hi @NavNab

Thanks for the link. I'll try it next year :)

I have downloaded the image in a single zip and then uncompressed it. That excludes the possibility of any corruption during the download, the zip wouldn't unpack otherwise. On the other hand, downloading it again won't hurt.

Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    did you check if the zip file properties showed blocked? It will still let you unzip it, but the files will be blocked.
  • Options
    edited 2018-01-09
    An update:

I have downloaded yesterday the CU1. And it just installed fine. :grey_question::grey_question::grey_question::confused:

Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    NavNabNavNab Member Posts: 181
    Answer ✓
    @Slawek_Guzek
    The first DVD you downloaded is a limited edition "No Install Edition" :smiley: