Options

Navision 2.1.2.1507 on Windows server 2008 64 bit

MaWMaW Member Posts: 74
Hi,
I have a problem running Navision v. 2.01.02 on a Windows server 2008 64 bit.
When I try to start Fin.exe it just crashes with the error below.

How can I get it working?

Thank you.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: FIN.EXE
Application Version: 2.1.2.1507
Application Timestamp: 37cde6e0
Fault Module Name: StackHash_1191
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 0018f094
Exception Code: c0000096
Exception Data: badc0de1
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.16.7
Locale ID: 1030
Additional Information 1: 1191
Additional Information 2: 1191c6ff6745153517a82b01fcb9370d
Additional Information 3: a870
Additional Information 4: a87026d177128ccdf3b9a266efce1411

Comments

• Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    I'm afraid you may have to use Virtual PC / VMWare Player with Windows XP on it...

Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • Options
    Ok Slawek,
    I only have the files copied from the XP machine. Do I need to set up server part, or could I just fire up fin.exe and point at the .fdb file?
  • Options
    edited 2017-09-11
    If you only need to open the dastabase wth single session you'll be fine firing fin.exe and poining it to the .fdb file.

If you have more that one fdb file, and they are in different location than they were when you shut down the native server instance you may need to manually specify all files in format: c:\temp\f1.fdb+c:\temp\f2.fdb+c:\temp\f3.fdb etc.

Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    Hi, got a XP up and running. Now it gives me this error when running fin.exe:
    The operating system does not find the drive and folder that you entered for the C: \ DOCUME ~ 1 \ tfn \ LOCALS ~ 1 \ Temp \ __ TEMP __. * File. Please check if the drive, folder, and filename are correct.
  • Options
    Move your fdb files into c:\temp or some other folder close to the root folder. Ty to pick the folder with no space in the name.

Do you need to keep the database in version 2? Perhaps it would be easier if you make a copy of your fdb files and try opening them in NAV2009 R2 client. NAV should convert your database structure on first access to 2009R2 and you'll be able to open it from the client run directly on the server, without virtual machine intermediary.

Just make sure you have a copy of your files stored safely somewhere before attempting conversion, as there is no way back from once converted database
    Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    Hi again,
    I renamed the .zup file and startet up. It worked without to many information boxes, and I was able to open and point at the database stored in the same folder.
    Next time I started everything seemed to work fine. Anything I should check to see if things are working as they should?
  • Options
    JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    I always do what Slawek suggested, but you should start planing ahead. XP Mode or VM is slow and anoying to work with!
    Btw. I always upgrade the license to 2009R2 when doing this.
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog
  • Options
    Ok, seems like NAV 2009 R2 is a suitable way to go, if the customer wants to use this old NAV active. They might just need it to lookup things from time to time.

What are the steps upgrading to 2009 R2? Is it possible to go directly to NAV 2009? And what is typical time consumption doing it 3 hours 6 hours? DB file is 1.5 GB.
    Does license need to be converted through Microsoft Partner Source?
    Thanks
  • Options
    JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    Platform upgrade doesn't take long, test it. Just open the db with 2009.
    Test the license I always upgrade, but if this is not their live version, then maybe it's not possible, with the license.

Application upgrade is another matter!
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog
  • Options
    vaprogvaprog Member Posts: 1,118
    Application upgrade makes little sense just for lookup access to old data.

Technical update requires a license for the version of the target client (i.e. NAV 2009 in this case).