Options

No. Series Line DataPerCompany = No

YachtyYachty Member Posts: 17
Hi all,
I'd like your input on the following idea. We have a client with a lot of companies. For the new NAV 2016 installation we would like to get around the old solution to make the No. Series Line table DataPerCompany = No because of locking issues and performance. Although, there is a need of having some Master Data with identical No. in several companies. We discussed the idea of duplicating the No. Series Line table for selected No. Series and make only this new table DataPerCompany = No and leave the Rest in standard with DataPerCompany = Yes.
Did somebody try this before or have thoughts on this idea? Your input is highly appreciated! Thx

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    ufukufuk Member Posts: 514
    Making DataPerCompany=No doesn't resolve the locking issues and performance. In fact, it may cause more locking issue because a lock in a company will affect another company.
    Ufuk Asci
    Pargesoft
  • Options
    This was not my question. I want to have it DataPerCompany = Yes for most of the No. Series because I want to avoid locking. But I need a DataPerCompany=NO type No Series for certain Masterdata.
  • Options
    KishormKishorm Member Posts: 921
    "No. Series" is a single table - it ether has to be DataPerCompany = yes OR no - you can't have both.

BTW - I personally would never set this table to DataPerCompany=no
  • Options
    ufukufuk Member Posts: 514
    Ahh, I misunderstood the question. Why you need to increase a master data number in another company? Assuming you want to do this for customer, customer nos in certain company will be like CUST0001, CUST007, CUST008... Do you really need to reserve each number across companies? Can setting this master data table's datapercompany=no be an option? I would prefer setting master data property rather than setting or replicating no. series line.
    Ufuk Asci
    Pargesoft
  • Options
    Kishorm wrote: »
    "No. Series" is a single table - it ether has to be DataPerCompany = yes OR no - you can't have both.

BTW - I personally would never set this table to DataPerCompany=no

That's why we wanted to duplicate the table... B)
  • Options
    Unfortunately that's not an option as the posting groups will be different. But yes, customer is a candidate, but also t36... due to intercompany business connected with end customer orders... :/

ufuk wrote: »
    Ahh, I misunderstood the question. Why you need to increase a master data number in another company? Assuming you want to do this for customer, customer nos in certain company will be like CUST0001, CUST007, CUST008... Do you really need to reserve each number across companies? Can setting this master data table's datapercompany=no be an option? I would prefer setting master data property rather than setting or replicating no. series line.

• Options
    Thx both, Kowa and Remco_Reinking
    for your input. And Kowa you are thinking having approx 20 companies and thus 20 no. series line table in SQL would not improve locking behaviour. In theory it should but that's why I am asking, I want feedback from the field! :)

Kowa wrote: »
    If you duplicate the tables as well as the NoSeriesMgt codeunit (-> NoSeriesMgt Cross-Co.) and link the two, it works fine and does cater for both requirements. I've been using that for years in a large project. There I also added a codeunit to pull nos. from other companies for certain cross-company documents. But all of this was not due to locking or performance issues, just to have unique nos. for intercompany processes. Locking behaviour will not improve that way.