Daylight Savings Time

SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
edited 2005-10-17 in General Chat
Just a reminder....

If when a user first opens Navision or when they change companies while in Navision, the system (on any workstation) rebuilds the help indexes.

This issue is more than likely caused by going to the Daylight Savings Time change. The fin.hmt file contains the Navision help index and when a client connects to the server, it checks the time stamp on this file. If the time stamp is different on the client machine compared to on the server machine the system rebuilds the help index and then saves the fin.htm file.

Please make sure that all the machines have the same time with the Daylight Savings Time change, then reboot the offending machine, in this case the server.

Comments

• PollekePolleke Member Posts: 18
    I don't get it: if a timestamp is set in fin.hmt at the end of a working day, and I get back to work the next day, the system should "see" that the time is different thus starts the reindexing?

We have had a similar problem with a group of users, that connect to Navision using Citrix. All these users had there index rebuild (specificly after this weekend where daylight saving time kicked in) but this caused the citrix-server to overload.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    The first post was a direct quote from the Navision customer source website. I posted it because had that problem in the past & it was frustrating trying to figure out what the problem was.

in fact as i logged in today i get the rebuilding indexs screen. our server (which never shuts down) will have to be rebooted.

It was a pre-daylight savings time notice just in case someone didn't know why this was occuring. :D
  • g_dreyerg_dreyer Member Posts: 123
    Would have been nice to have a command line switch (on fin.exe, finsql.exe) in order to enable/disable re-building of the index.

Regards,
    Gus :D
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Sience 3.70A is changed the process of reindexing. Timestamp is now saved in UTC and it means, that there are no rebuilds, when someone connect from another timezone...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    thanks for the update \:D/
  • mrQQmrQQ Member Posts: 239
    we're having same problem with 4.00. the server is on sql, on same PC as terminal server, so there shouldnt be any problems, right? wrong.. whenever a client connects to TS and starts navision, it rebuilds help index :(

any ideas of how to fix it..?:/
    Because users have no writing rights into client folder... :-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    hmm, i put full permissions on fin.hmt - isn't that enough? isn't it a security hole to allow full permisions on that dir?
    Yes, it is, but no way around... the users need Create permission in the folder (to be able to create the *.?mt files)...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    but why wont it work if one user creates those files? or perhaps allow to those specific files only..
    it will be working, if one user create the files and have the permissions. But ohter users need to have same timezone (if you are working with Navision version older than 3.70B - 3.70B corrected this).

And second problem is Navision 4.00 where the install process disabled the permission inheritance on the fin.hmt file... (must be enabled manually). I do not know if the correction of the timezone on the mt files from 3.70B is included in the 4.00 version prior the SP1...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    timezone shouldnt matter, since all users are connecting from TS, which is on same pc as navision server..