Options

NAS crashes without ending the Windows process or showing something in Event Viewer

frischfrisch Member Posts: 20
At the moment, something weird is happening. There's an environment I'm administering with a lot of automated processes: a.o. intercompany between 10+ companies, EDI imports/exports, communication with shipping partners, communication with external warehouse and master data syncs, f.e. item sync.

To make sure this runs smoothly and fast we've setup three servicetiers as dedicated NAS, for the source company only. The other companies all have their own NAS. Of course, this is separated through setting the job queue category filter (A, B, and <>A&<>B, to make sure C picks up anything that's left out by the others).
The B-NAS usually handles the item syncs, but lately I've been seeing that this seems to crash during the large item sync every weekend, and then clogs up all the other syncs on the NAS when we decide to reset it on monday morning (resulting in phonecalls from users in all entities because their data is not coming in - annoying! ;) ).

I didn't find anything about this "crash" in the event viewer, but the whole servicetier seems to stop out of the blue, so I decided to switch off the automated NAS and run it in a client on a screen. This works fine, except the fact that it dóes stop functioning out of the blue when handling big loads of work! What happens is I notice that the flow of files suddenly stops, then I check the Job Queues page in NAV and see that the NAS has stopped running ("Last Heartbeat" = empty, "Started" = false). When I go to the workstation running this NAS, there are no errors whatsoever, again no messages in the Event Viewer, and the Dynamics NAV client is still running. All I have to do to get it to work again is click "Start Job Queue".

I quickscanned through the hotfixes for 2013 R2 (build 38801) but couldn't find anything that looks like it could solve this issue. Also, because of the large environment (and multiple environments in multiple databases with different localizations), I'm not to keen about upgrading just to "see if it solves this problem".

Who else has experienced this? And did you manage find a solution?

Answers

• Options
    kylehardinkylehardin Member Posts: 257
    %so I decided to switch off the automated NAS and run it in a client on a screen. This works fine, except the fact that it dóes stop functioning out of the blue when handling big loads of work!

I'd say start there. If it also breaks when running the job queue by hand, then you have something you can work with by running the debugger for that job queue session.
    Kyle Hardin - ArcherPoint
  • Options
    frischfrisch Member Posts: 20
    kylehardin wrote: »
    I'd say start there. If it also breaks when running the job queue by hand, then you have something you can work with by running the debugger for that job queue session.
    Well, I forgot to write it down but did try that (Debug Next).
    What the debugger does in most cases is tell me the session that was being debugged has ended.