Options

Is there is any tool to convert txt file to FOB File?

southindiansouthindian Member Posts: 247
edited 2014-06-30 in NAV Three Tier
Hi all,

Is there is any tool to covert text files to FOB files ?
I tried searching in Mibuso forum.. i dont get what i'm looking for?
Can any body help me! :-k

Comments

• Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Yes there is: the Dynamics NAV Development Environment tool. You import the txt-file, compile the object, and export it as fob-file.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    Yes there is: the Dynamics NAV Development Environment tool. You import the txt-file, compile the object, and export it as fob-file.

RML \:D/ :thumbsup:
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • Options
    Thank you very much Sir!

But how to import Merged txt files into database. The issue Iam facing is when I'm trying to import merged txt files , Error gets popped up.....

Can u advice where Iam wrong !!! Or suggest your opinion!!
  • Options
    The issue Iam facing is when I'm trying to import merged txt files , Error gets popped up.....

Needless to say, but if you get errors there is something wrong in the .txt file. How was this .txt file created?
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • Options
    I have exported all the objects in txt format from the option available in Navision development environment.

Actually I would like to give a brief details about the task I'm involved.

I have been involved in merging project.

I need to update the latest customization in the old database without disturbing already existing functionality. So i have export all objects in txt format in order to compare and merge using "Beyond Compare".

I successfully compared and merged the objects , but when I'm trying to import the merged objects back to old database error pops up.

Could you advice me!!
  • Options
    I successfully compared and merged the objects , but when I'm trying to import the merged objects back to old database error pops up.[/color]
    If you get import errors, the merge wasn't fully successful. This might be due to something is simple as a missing ; at the end of some line. Or some code not rightly indented anymore. The error will tell you on what line the error occurred so go for that line and see what's wrong there. Unfortunately the line number is not always pointing to the right line depending on the type of error. If you cannot find the error on the line you might do the following:

1. Try to import all objects before the object that throws the error. I expect it to be successful.
    2. Import only the object that throws the error. This should throw the same error (with another line number as the file does only contain this object).
    3. Remerge this object, or at first compare it with the previous version of this object.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • Options
    Thank you very much for your valuable suggestion Sir.
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    Another problem:
    Check that you export the txt-files and import the txt-files with the same regional settings and the same version of NAV.
    It might happen that booleans are exported as Yes/No, Oui/Non, Ja/Nein, Ja/Nee,Sì/No,.....
    And also dates and times can have that problem.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    I'm getting following error while trying to import merged Table

" Your program license does not allow you to create the Partner Type field in the Customer table.

Contact your system administrator to update your program license."

I have did compared and merged the custom object with old existing database using "Beyond Compare tool". Could any one guide what next to do inorder to complete the Full merging cycle :-k :cry:
  • Options
    With a partner license you cannot create fields in range 1..49999 and in add-on ranges (if it is not your add-on).
    So, if you need to add those fields, you need first to import the fob using MERGE and NOT REPLACE objects.
    This creates the fields in the database but probably messes up the C/AL code in the table. To fix this last problem, you can then import your text-file.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Options
    kriki wrote:
    So, if you need to add those fields, you need first to import the fob using MERGE and NOT REPLACE objects.
    This creates the fields in the database but probably messes up the C/AL code in the table. To fix this last problem, you can then import your text-file.

Thank you very much for your Valuable suggestion sir.

IF you dont mind... I would like breif the suggestion as per my understanding.

1. need to import the New Custom objects directly into Old Database. So "Import Worksheet" Popsup and by selecting Action as (Merge--Existing--New), it automatically merge New with existing one.

2.) Then Import Merged Txt files ..

3.) Compile all the objects , then solve all the compilation error(if any)....

So by following all these steps, merged objects can imported sucesfully in the old database (Existing Functionality(Old Database) +New Functionality(Custom Objects) )

Am I right Sir. Please advice!
  • Options
    Correct
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Options
    edited 2014-06-20
    Thank you very much Sir! Will come back and let you know the result once the Full Merging cycle is completed. :thumbsup:
  • Options
    :wink:
  • Options
    I'm getting a strange error while importing merged objects, which is seems to be difficult to identify.

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Development Environment
    There is a syntax error in the import on line 3055457 in position 3 : }.

The AL code is not indented as much as the first line.
    OK

I would like to attach the code, where the error reflects.

LOCAL PROCEDURE ReservedProdComponent@101(Reserentry@1000 : Record 337) : Boolean;
        BEGIN
          IF NOT Reserentry.Positive THEN
            EXIT(Reserentry."Source Type" = DATABASE::"Prod. Order Component");
          IF ReserentryEntry.GET(Reserentry."Entry No.",FALSE) THEN
            EXIT(ReserentryEntry."Source Type" = DATABASE::"Prod. Order Component");
        END;

BEGIN
        {
         }
        END.
    }    This were the error reflects
    }

I have just pasted the code where it reflects an indented error as above.
    Please advice and guide me
  • Options
    mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,503
    It looks like you have missed an END code while merging.
    Please check the object again completely whether each BEGIN has proper END
  • Options
    Thank you very much fro your Suggestion!

Im facing an error when exporting objects in TXT format from Navision DB

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic
    You do not have permission to run the 'File, Export, Text' System.

Contact your system administrator to have your permissions changed.

OK

Please Advice!
  • Options
    mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,503
    Are you using Customer License?
    Please Change/Upload your Partner License and try
  • Options
    FUDFUD Member Posts: 1
    Check the version, it won't let you import a MS-object with the same version number from a text file.