Options

Move Posted Documents to Another Customer

aadamsaadams Member Posts: 19
We have an issue where many Sales Invoices were posted under the wrong customer cards. If it were only one I'd just credit and re-invoice, however this happened on over a dozen customers.

Is there any way (within NAV or via code) to move those posted documents to another customer? I know there's a merge customer processing report floating around in this forum that will merge two customers into one, including all history, however what we need is the reverse.

We don't have a developer licence, but wanted to see if this could be done before we reach out to our VAR. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Answers

• Options
    apbettsapbetts Member Posts: 2
    If you do it through a Gen. Journal, you can move the balance detail by detail from one customer to the other customer, however it will no longer link to the original document... that is on the customer ledger entry page, the 'Show Doc' button will no longer work. However, it will still appear on your customers statement as an invoice and look correct from the statement.

Your idea of merging the 2 customers will work if it is your intent to fully merge everything about them (this includes all history, pricing etc...). I'm not sure if that is what your intention is or not. The one danger with the merging is that it really can't be undone very easily.
  • Options
    Thanks for the inofrmation @apbetts.

I hear you loud and clear on the merge warning. In fact, we used that merge tool to get ourselves into this mess :smile:... We had a hundred or so customers that had duplicate (sometimes 2-3) customer cards (due to the way data was initially imported as well as user entry errors). Each "duplicate" had it's own set of historical invoices. The merge tool was then used to combine these accounts, however there were a dozen or so that were truly not duplicates but got merged anyway (due to a validation mishap on our part when gathering the list of duplicates).

Long story short, we now have merged history we would like to un-merge. I realize this is probably not possible, and your suggestion of journal entries may be what we do. We also have considered issuing credit memos and re-creating the invoices for any unpaid, though this leaves a messy trail.

I'm not opposed to scripting (or paying VAR to script) if it is not an unreasonable request. The merge tool worked so well that I was hoping there were other tools out there to move history from one customer to another.

Again, thanks for the help!
  • Options
    apbettsapbetts Member Posts: 2
    I like your idea of posting credit memos/invoices, aside from allot of dead entires in the customer ledger entry table, it would leave an almost traceable audit trail, the 'show doc' would work... having said that working some very long evenings doing very tedious work.

I would however encourage you to look at doing it through a general journal through. If you think of the theory, your AR should be fully collected in the next 60 days, so in 60 days you would be out of the woods. Besides that, it would only be a matter of putting the entire list into an Excel spreadsheet then copy paste post!

Let me know however if you want to move with the script idea though, my thought is you are wanting to provide a list of invoice numbers and then the correct customer number beside it. The script would move the invoice to the correct customer leaving no trace that it was ever with the wrong customer (basically just like nothing wrong had ever happened). I know allot of people may consider this not very accounting like, but It certainly can be done with some careful planning as long as you don't have any significant changes already done to the customer/billing side. Let me know if I can help with this.

• Options
    Thanks again apbetts. We haven't ruled out the scripting approach (which we would want it function just as you described), but we may just end up doing journal entries.

After full analysis of the situation it appears only 8 of the customers in question have open AR. The others (and there's actually ~40) can be handled with journal entries as suggested.

If we do decide to go the scripted route, I would sure like to hear your suggestions on the coding aspect. I'm a programmer by trade, but don't have a ton of NAV C/AL code experience.