Options

Replication best practice?

veeviiveevii Member Posts: 5
edited 2015-10-21 in NAV Three Tier
Hello,

I'm trying to find best paractice for my customer to replicate/copy data from one company to two other separate independent companies.

Problem is that my customer needs to operate two real life financially separate companies at the same time, bookkeeping is done in both companies. Problem comes in that selling different services from both companies need to happen from the same NAV company, so that clients sales department wouldn' need to change NAV company when selling other companyäs service.

We have suggested a solution where client's sales department is using "sales company" from where both actual companies
services could be sold (sold service is marked so that it can be identified to which actual company postings belong). Bookkeeping figures from the "sales company" (gl entries etc.) should be replicated to other two NAV companies where actual bookkeeping figures should be stored.

Any suggestions in what way replication / copying should be done? Thank you.

Answers

• Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    why not use a dimension "company". Maybe syncing is better.
  • Options
    joshuasungjoshuasung Member Posts: 37
    You probably want to do post intercompany posting behind the scene of insdie of posting routine.

So Company A is sales operation company, Company B is part company, and Company C is service company.
    Company A takes sales order it flow to Company B or Company C or both.

It shouldn't be really replication in accounting point of view, I believe.
    Joshua H Sung

Sr. Project Manager
    S-Metric, LLC
    jsung@smetric.com
  • Options
    veeviiveevii Member Posts: 5
    Thank you both for the comments. We might use intercompany to some extend, work continues.
  • Options
    jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    edited 2015-10-23
    That's a complicated (but not unusual) setup. Question is, do the parts and services companies need detailed accounts receivable by every customer? What about inventory, production, purchase of goods? Sounds to me like it may be better to take the most complex single company (parts?), do the main operations there, and add revenue accounts for the services (posted by resource or G/L account). If services are project / service contract related, it should also happen in this company. For the services part, you add IC document transfer to the services company. For the sales part, you add another company that gets the cost of the sales operation and revenue from sales of the parts and services based on the contracts between these companies.
    In this case, the need for replication has sort of vanished. You only have IC document transfers left, but this can be done in the NAV way, or with a customized (tailored) solution that reduces the need for translation tables to a minimum.
    The usual special case would be "mixed" invoices. Do these exist? Or are these excluded because the services and parts companies always act with separate invoices, with their own company header? If this can be safely excluded, creating/setting up a tailored IC transfer should be the better solution.
  • Options
    joshuasungjoshuasung Member Posts: 37
    Well.. I suggest leave detail to current partners, :smile:
    Joshua H Sung

Sr. Project Manager
    S-Metric, LLC
    jsung@smetric.com