Options

Automation from Excel

oodaioodai Member Posts: 3
Hi Can i import excel to Navision as a end user of the product.
if it is not possible as a end user to create automation how can develop this.
Exampl I get standard excel files from customers, which needs to be updated in Navision. How can this me automated

Answers

• Options
    archer89archer89 Member Posts: 337
    you could import data using dataports.
    otherwise use the Microsoft excel automation within a codeunit or a report to read data from an excel or csv file.
    also check if you have a table called excel buffer.
    best regards
    Franz Kalchmair, MVP
    Alias: Jonathan Archer

please like / agree / verify my answer, if it was helpful for you. thx.
    Blog: http://moxie4nav.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Which version of NAV you are using? You have posted into Navision Financials category, which means version 2.x and I am not sure, if it is true (because you cannot run this version on new windows etc.).

Newer versions have the Excel Buffer table, which has functions to read excel sheet and than you can go through the values in the table and process them. But if you are end user and you need to import some simple tables from the excel, you can use the csv way (using dataports) or you can go around by using the excel automations (as @archer89 answered) or you can try to use the excel as a "database source" and connect it through ADO (more complex way)...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    edited 2015-10-21
    Hi kine,

Please find attached screen prints of navision screen and version. Also please do let us know if there is a tool which can directly pick data from excel to Navision

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    No by default...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Hi kine,

Please find attached screen prints of navision screen and version. Also please do let us know if there is a tool which can directly pick data from excel to Navision
    01.png 66.6K
    02.png 96.4K
  • Options
    joshuasungjoshuasung Member Posts: 37
    Importing through CSV probably the cheapest solution, but need to convert Excel to CSV. Otherwise, need to program to take excel import.
    Joshua H Sung

Sr. Project Manager
    S-Metric, LLC
    jsung@smetric.com