Options

3 tier without AD-domain?? How-To Example-2VM.ps1

roynesroynes Member Posts: 23
edited 2015-09-07 in NAV Three Tier
Hi.

When running the example-2vm script, it installs a NAV server, and a SQL server. Without AD domain controller.
Normally I would create AD-Domain with a user account that can be used on service tier and on sql server.
BUT, on the two servers created in azure, it is only created local users!

I em trying to manually add a second NAV Server.

The Local user, used on NAV service is navserver\NSTService.
On The SQL server and in the NAV-Database, the script must give the NAV service access to the database.
And as I can see this is done by adding a local user sqlserver\NSTService, and this is not the account running the service.
How can this nav service get Access to the database?
This two automaticly installed servers, works without any problem!

What am I missing :-k

Comments

• Options
    yukonyukon Member Posts: 361
    Hi,

Take a look at this link https://community.dynamics.com/nav/f/34/p/160925/386207#386207. I think same as your issue.

Regards,
    Yukon
    Make Simple & Easy
  • Options
    CaponeCapone Member Posts: 125
    It is a general trick if you don't have an AD and want to connect to another computer without typing new login credentials that you have the same account name on both computers with the same passwords.

I have often come accros that an user accounts needs to access a network share in another domain.The solution was to create same account on both computers with the same password.
    Hello IT, have you tried to turn it off and on?
    Have you checked the cables?
    Have you released the filters?

http://www.navfreak.com
  • Options
    Thanks you are right, this is a trick :-)
    Anyway i had to install AD to be able to use Dev.Env. / Classic client in this environment.

Is there anyone who has installed/used Dev.Env without installing ActiveDirectory?
  • Options
    Me :)

If you run the 2VM Azure script you should have everything setup.

And if you install the dev environment you don't need to have a AD.
    We don't have any AD on most of our azure implementations. Instead we are using the trick that I told you about.

But you can also try to connect with the option "Database Server Authentication" but then you need to set up a database user on your SQL and activate "Mixed mode" on the SQL instance.

• Options
    When compile tables, your dev.env. need to be connected to a nav-service. You can't use the NAV service installed by powercript because this service is not set up with windows client-authentication.

So i guess you need to set up a NAV-Service for windows client-auth. So where do you have your extra NAV-Service installed? (NAV-Server or SQL-Serer?).
    What i tried was to install it on a third server, to avoid to mess up the any of the 2 original servers.
  • Options
    I tell you that we have been able to make it work without that but when we have had problems with this it has been because of something else.

For instance, if we have had added another user to the virtual machine, that user needs to start the dev env. by right-clicking and choose "Run as administrator" to be able to compile tables.
    Try and see if that helps.

What is the error you getting when you try to compile tables and other objects?

• Options
    When compiling you are asked to select a nav-service. and it was here it was failing, i dont remember exactly. I tried different thing but gave up and installed AD.

I have changed the environment so i em not able to test your tip on running as administrator, but anyway thanks :-)

I em trying to find the best way off setting this up on Azure. It was also another reason that i installed AD, and that is that i think you need to add, all develop-users manually in SQL server and other places.

Do you have any pros/cons, using AD or not?