Options

Running Navision 3.10 Server on Windows XP?

yuppicideyuppicide Member Posts: 410
edited 2015-06-17 in Navision Attain
I just want to be clear.. I posted here many years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12459&start=0&hilit=2000

We run our Clients on Windows XP and a few using Windows 7.

But I just want to be clear.. will the server run on Windows XP at least (or greater) without me having to buy any software upgrades?

I've got a loud high pitched noise coming from our old Windows 2000 server. Suppose it's a fan or a hard drive. It's got a light on the outside showing the health of the machine isn't good.

I may be able to try it out on a used Windows XP machine.. keeping the old server intact for now and if it works buy a totally new machine and install XP on it.

Buying new Dynamics software is too costly. Besides that it's costly, migrating some/all our data to another software might be a task in itself as I looked at Quickbooks as well.. even that's costly.. I'm not sure of all the features of the different versions of Quickbooks, so I just got pricing on the best one.. it's like $2200-$2500 a year for 7 people depending on if you take the Online version or the Desktop version.

Comments

• Options
    I have a Windows 2003 SBS. Not sure of the specs off hand. At most 7 users login through there, we store our files there. Not sure if Navision could co-exist on that machine at the same time and if it would slow things down or not.
  • Options
    Well, we went ahead and did the migration to Windows 2003 SBS.. our network tech did it while we were out of the office. If it didn't work we always had our old server that is dying to go back to. So far runs fine and you can definitely notice a slight speed difference even though we have up to 7 users logged into our system at any given time and then 7 users logged into Navision as well.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Your still on native database correct?

Make sure Commit Cache = YES
    DBMS Cache is as high as possible >700000

Now that your off the old server - good time to see what fixes it needs so at least you have a working backup server
  • Options
    Yep. We're moved. Still native. Commit Cache is yes and DBMS is 665600. Not sure why that exact number.

For some reason it's been working fine so far (few days now), but today it gave everyone a communication error and froze up for maybe 3 minutes. Now we're unable to log in any more than 5 users (plus one for server). So one person in our office always has to be out. I checked and it says we're only using 7 out of 10 licenses. He warned us there might be an issue I'm told.

Anyway, I have had something similar once in the past and I remember a client was stuck or something, so eventually somehow it just got disconnected from the server and freed up the one license.

Unless there's the possibility that he creates the issue so he creates more work for himself, that I cannot say.

As for the old server I think it's getting retired. I have a graveyard of old stuff sitting in the back. Nice $1500 printer that might be able to be fixed for a few hundred dollars in eBay parts.
  • Options
    So will Nav 3.10 Server run on Windows XP? I don't think I got an answer to that.

We're looking at running our corrupted database off an XP machine just to view the data and get stuff we need.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    It should run but I'm not sure if other users will be able to connect..perhaps just the one on that machine.

Also, you don't need to install the nav server to access the data from the database.
    You can do it from the client, if you are using it to just access old data from one machine.

From the client File->Database->Open
    Under server name - click the drop down & select "client only"
    in the database name enter the path to the database. ex/ c:\database\database.fdb
    If your database is split into multiple pieces you have to enter all the names.
    ex/ c:\database\database1.fdb+c:\database\database2.fdb+etc etc

Once your into the database you can try to create a new backup.
    If successful - you can go to File->Database->New and create a new database file. Then try to restore your backup into the "new" database.