Options

How long should an update (nav 2009R2 to 2015) take

PoltergeistPoltergeist Member Posts: 200
edited 2015-06-16 in NAV Three Tier
I'm trying (for the first time) to upgrade a database from NAV2009R2 to NAV2015 (via NAV2013), using http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-filesystemfil ... V-2015.pdf. All steps (up to 25) work fine. If I take out one company (create a fbk from one company, restore in an empty database, do the upgrade) everything works smoothly. However, When trying a somewhat larger database (Well, It's just 9 GB) the dataupgrade just takes forever. Up until now, I haven't had the patience to wait (after keeping it running for 24 hours).

First of all, I cannot run it parallel. It complains about the permission table being locked by another user. If I run it serial, the checkpreconditions are run (fast), but then it starts codeunit 104055, function startupgrade for the first company. which is also the company with the most data. I can see the developmentclient running at 25% (it's a quadcore processor, so that makes sense), but other then that: nothing seems to happen.

How long should it take for such a small database to be upgraded?

Comments

• Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    you should run the upgrade code thru the debugger so you can find out which piece of code is causing the slowdown.
    The dimension rebuild uses SQL. This should not be a problem area for a database of this size.
    One area I have run into on older upgrades is a process that renames contents of the primary key. Mass renaming of any larger table is a performance killer, and the only way around it, if it is necessary, is to it in SQL.