Options

NAV2013R2 Service Modules Enquiries

jasonandmaryjasonandmary Member Posts: 21
edited 2015-03-12 in NAV Three Tier
Hi all,

I have been exploring the services modules for awhile now and with the help of MDSN but I still can't figure out some flow.
Appreciate if someone can share with me a little more on the below.

1. Which industries is the services module commonly being used in, and in conjunction with which other modules (like Sales, Purchase, Financials?)

2. If I create a non-prepaid service contract > service invoice seems to be last day of month > contract invoice amount is split by 12 months (that's fine)
If I create a prepaid service contract > seems to be first day of month > but it keeps saying I must create a service order linked to contract > which I have created one and post > it is still blocking me from creating service invoice from service contract with the same error message

3. I am new to service modules so please pardon me. It doesn't work like trading module where if I post a sales invoice selling an item with a cost > it generates GL entries with both sales/AR and cost/inventory. I notice even though in service ledger entries there are unit cost or cost amount, it does not generate any GL entries, is there a batch job somewhere which will execute the GL entries related to the costing or normally how the industries recognize costing in services modules?

4. I have heard that there is this function where you can specify on the item card (I assume it is service item group) so when you create a sales order and post it, it will create a service item on service order automatically? Is this true? I would like to know where is service item normally created in > only service related documents like service contract, service order, service invoice/CNADJ? Seems like I can randomly generate a service item after description input? Is this normally how people creates service item or is there a recommended flow for it?

5. Lastly, really appreciate if someone can give me a general overview of how one can benefit from using the service modules in NAV2013R2. Recommended report for cost-benefit analysis?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    aseigleaseigle Member Posts: 207
    3. Upon invoicing (whether it be invoice or consumption) G/L Entries are created. You should be able to Navigate from the posted Service Invoice to find them.

4. Yes, you are correct. Assign an Item a Service Item Group Code that has "Create Service Item" checked. This will create the Service Item on the sale. Another thing we find helpful is to create the service item manually from the Service Order. Drill into the Serial No. field, and select the appropriate entry (assuming you are using serialized inventory) and then add a description, and use the Create Service Item function from the Functions button.

Hope this helps.