Options

NAV 2013 R2 - Install database components in a SQL Cluster

hafedhhafedh Member Posts: 12
edited 2015-01-15 in NAV Three Tier
Hi everyone,

I want to install Database Component of NAV 2013 R2 in a SQL Cluster environment.
The problem is that setup configuration interface does not allow to specify the name of SQL Server. I can specify only the name of SQL Server Instance name.

but "SQLServer" parameter is ignored during installation.
I suppose that NAV 2013 setup search and connect only to local SQL Server instance, so when I connect to a cluster node in order to install Database components it fail because don't find any SQL Server installated locally.

I don't found any solution in Internet and i don't have any idea about the manner to solve this problem, can you help me please.

Best regards
Guiga Hafedh

Comments

• Options
    vremeni4vremeni4 Member Posts: 323
    Hi,

Good thing about NAV 2013 R2 is that you do not need to install Database components.
    During installation of Database components, I think ,only the backup is restored on the SQL Server, that is all.
    In previous versions e.g. NAV 2009 it was necessary to create Extended procedures, to set up Trace-flag and so on, so installing database components was useful. In NAV 2013 R2 you can skip that.

On the installation DVD for NAV 2013 R2 go to
    ..\NAV 2013 R2 W1 Install\SQLDemoDatabase\CommonAppData\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\71\Database
    In this folder you will find the backup "Demo Database NAV (7-1).bak" of the Demo database.
    Restore this backup on you SQL cluster and you are ready to go.

After that change the configuration file of the NAV Server to point to this database and add the user which is used to run NAV Server on the SQL machine as a DB_owner for the database.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Hello Vremeni4

thanks a lot for your response,
    this is a great idea, i will check this solution and i will send you a feedback tomorrow if it's ok or no.

Best regards,
    Guiga Hafedh
  • Options
    Hello and i sorry to be late in response,
    I have correctly installed a cluster SQL and mout the demo database like you said.
    I don't install the NAV SQL Component and i have installed the NAV Server component with the IP of cluster SQL.
    It's ok at this point, but when i open the client i have different error message like:

"The Microsoft Dynamics NAV server is currently not ready to serve requests. Try again later or contact your system administrator."
    "the microsoft dynamics nav server is currently not ready to serve requests"

I already cheked the privilege in SQL as shown in this image:
    http://www.casimages.com/i/150112030659423905.png

Best regards
    Guiga Hafedh
  • Options
    vremeni4vremeni4 Member Posts: 323
    Hi,

This error message usually means that the settings for the NAV Server Service to which SQL Server needs to connect are wrong.
    By Default "Database Instance" is set to NAVDEMO and "Database Server" to localhost.
    Check in the configurantion file for NAV Server Service whether you have correct values here.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Thanks for your response,
    I will check the settings of Nav Server Service.
    if not, would it be possible to screen sharing my to help me solve this problem?

Best regards
    Guiga Hafedh
  • Options
    Hello vremeni4,
    Really, thanks a lot for your assistance and your help,
    I finally have installed the cluster SQL and configure the NAV Server correctly.

About the last error: I have deleted the old database and restore a new databse from the install folder and all works fine :)

Thanksssss

Best regards
    Guiga Hafedh