Options

Megre tool Vs Araxis merge..

181deepak181deepak Member Posts: 95
edited 2015-01-07 in NAV Three Tier
Hi Experts,
I am doing an up-gradation from nav 2009 to Nav 2013, and after following up-gradation steps from msdn I am at the stage where I have three txt files - 1) OldBaseVersion.txt 2) OldCustomVersion.txt 3) NewBaseVerison.txt..

Now I am using araxis merge to compare these 3 txt files (3 way compare) and modifying the NewBaseVersion.txt as per modification but this is very time consuming task..it is taking 20 to 25 min for a single object..

My query is - does it take less time in comparing files in merge tool?, Do we have any single click button in merge tool to press that will compare all txt files automatically or it is a manual process as I am doing it with araxis merge and finally is there is automatic process available in araxis merge..

Actually I don't know how megre tool works..
Please reply soon.. with explanation..
Thanks in advance.. :D

Comments

• Options
    jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Hi there,

you're fastest with the tools you know. There are a lot of blog posts about merge tools, and also about the new powershell cmdlets to merge objects - also on MSDN and in the MSDN NAV Teamblog. There is also a little on how they work.
    My personal preference is mercurial (thg) with the compare/merge tool of TortoiseSVN (TortoiseMerge), NAVObjectSplitter and a bunch of batch files. The recipe for speed is a good base repository with "enough" version history and the right base addons already integrated, a good merge functionality (the one of mercurial, although generic), and experience.
    It is also good to minimize the number of possible differences beforehand by stripping all language layers that are not there in any of your three versions. You can import and complete them later.
    If you're looking for the most complete tool, I would recommend MergeTool. If you only have "a few" objects to merge (<100) and a bit of redesign is on the cards already, I would recommend to continue with the merge tools you already know. Reports will be more of a reimplementation than a merge, regardless of the merge tool.

with best regards

Jens
  • Options
    lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    Maybe I am missing something, but haven't tried the new merge utilities?

Comparing and Merging Application Object Source Files
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • Options
    Comparing and Merging Application Object Source Files[/quote]

Thanks for your reply.

But sir this blog is for Nav 2015, and I am merging from nav 2009 sp1 to nav 2013, can I use this nav 2015 power shell for comparing objects of nav 2009 and nav 2013 text files?
  • Options
    These PowerShell commandlets work on text files in a file directory structure. It's doing nothing with NAV resources (dll, exe, etc.).

It ha been released already last June. I must admit I haven't tested it with NAV 2009 code. But I recon it will do a quite good job teher to. Note that merging reports is a difficult one also with these commendlets (also for NAV2013/15).
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • Options
    Thanks a lot. =D>
    I will try this..
  • Options
    :thumbsup:
    Let us know what came from it ...