I will be interviewing NAV developer

Developer101Developer101 Member Posts: 528
edited 2014-05-23 in General Chat
I will be interviewing for NAV development/support position. I am an experienced NAV developer.
My job will be assessing the candidate’s technical skills. I could as 100 of questions but I would like to know what are those technical questions that should be asked or enough to judge someone’s technical expertise. 5 – 10 questions will do good.

Kindly help.
United Kingdom

Comments

• einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    David tends to ask his candidates about dimensions (http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199680#p199680 8) ) which is a very hard question but after that you definitely get an idea of the candidate's skill level regarding NAV internals.

I think that should depend on the tasks that the candidate should perform in future. I mean a first level supporter doesn't need to know each and every detail to be a good supporter. If you want him/her to define (technical) concepts then the candidate probably needs to know more.
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    David tends to ask his candidates about dimensions (http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199680#p199680 8) ) which is a very hard question but after that you definitely get an idea of the candidate's skill level regarding NAV internals.

I think it is not hard, because David wrote they don't need to know it from the top of their heads but allowed to have access to a NAV client and test it. That way it is easy, just a normal problem solving process. But know these things from the top of head would be harder.

A hard question would be like know from the top of your head the table number of transfer receipt header. As it would require really a lot of experience to remember it.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    That's a terrible question :shock: . I've worked with NAV for about 15 years and I could not tell you that table number.
  • einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    I think knowing the table numbers by heart isn't an indicator for good technical skill level. It's more important to know the application itself (business processes, table relations, generated data, etc.).
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    Better questions are about technically less used functionality (temp tables, recordrefs, ...)
    Also the question, how would you add another ledger to NAV (with a mock up scenario) and make it work. (cfr the basic example in NAV with room reservation)
    Although the second question is basic, there is an alarming number of developers/consultants who don't know that.
    And you do want to avoid the "I'll just add another field"- developers.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|