Options

Randomly receive permission error

kelseykong@hotmail.comkelseykong@hotmail.com Member Posts: 86
edited 2013-11-28 in NAV Three Tier
Dear Experts

Users randomly received the following permission error when they try to post Purchase Receipt or Sales Return Receipt:

You do not have permission to read the G/L Entry table.

We are using NAV 2009 RTC.

Most of the cases users are able to post and print, which means there is no issue with the permission setup.

Please let me know if you have any clue of this issue.

Thank you.

Li

Answers

• Options
    william_marcelinuswilliam_marcelinus Member Posts: 34
    Dear,
    Try check user access on Database, set users who access as DB_OWNER.
    so all users can posting on tables.
  • Options
    AndwianAndwian Member Posts: 627
    Do you use Security Filter?
    Regards,
    Andwian
  • Options
    Dear,
    Try check user access on Database, set users who access as DB_OWNER.
    so all users can posting on tables.

Hi William
    We prefer to not to change the permission to DB_Owner to regular users as they are not the owner of the database.

Just to let you know this error does not happen all the time, which is really confusing to us.

Thank you.

Li
  • Options
    Andwian wrote:
    Do you use Security Filter?

Hi Andwian

We are using Security Filter so that users don’t post GL Entries from Journal Entry page, by mistake.

May I know if this will cause the issue?

Thank you.

Li
  • Options
    kelseykong wrote:
    We are using Security Filter so that users don’t post GL Entries from Journal Entry page, by mistake.

sometimes, perhaps, eg. when system try to read the record that out of the filter. It can be tricky.

Could you please explain in more detail, what Security Filter did you use?
    Do you apply SETPERMISSIONFILTER?
    Regards,
    Andwian
  • Options
    Andwian wrote:
    kelseykong wrote:

sometimes, perhaps, eg. when system try to read the record that out of the filter. It can be tricky.

Could you please explain in more detail, what Security Filter did you use?
    Do you apply SETPERMISSIONFILTER?

Hi Andwian

Thank you for your response.

Regarding your question, we applied the following security filter for all the role IDs that allow Read Permission for Tabledata 17.

G/L Entry: Source Code=<>GENJNL

We dont apply any SETPERMISSIONFILTER.

The confusing part is the error doesn't always pop up? And even it pops up, later on, users will be able to post.

Do you think this is related to responsibility center setup (the function is there, but only applies to purchase. the issue exists in both purchase and sales), or two users access the post and print function at the same time?

Thank you.

Li
  • Options
    kelseykong wrote:
    Do you think this is related to responsibility center setup (the function is there, but only applies to purchase. the issue exists in both purchase and sales)
    I am not sure
    kelseykong wrote:
    two users access the post and print function at the same time?
    No. The error should be:
    "The G/L Entry table is locked by another user"

kelseykong wrote:
    The confusing part is the error doesn't always pop up? And even it pops up, later on, users will be able to post.
    It will raise an error only when the system find a record (G/L Entry in your case) that outside your Security Filter, i.e it find G/L Entry that Source Code is GENJNL.
    Regards,
    Andwian
  • Options
    KishormKishorm Member Posts: 921
    When posting sales and purchase documents NAV will call a LOCKTABLE and then find the last g/l entry record so if the last record had source code = GENJNL then the restricted users will get the error. As soon as someone with access manages to post a sales or purchase document then the last g/l entry will no longer have source code = GENJNL so the restricted users will then be able to post with getting an error. This is why you are getting the error intermittently.
  • Options
    Andwian wrote:
    kelseykong wrote:
    Do you think this is related to responsibility center setup (the function is there, but only applies to purchase. the issue exists in both purchase and sales)
    I am not sure
    kelseykong wrote:
    two users access the post and print function at the same time?
    No. The error should be:
    "The G/L Entry table is locked by another user"

kelseykong wrote:
    It will raise an error only when the system find a record (G/L Entry in your case) that outside your Security Filter, i.e it find G/L Entry that Source Code is GENJNL.

Thank you Andwian!
  • Options
    Kishorm wrote:
    When posting sales and purchase documents NAV will call a LOCKTABLE and then find the last g/l entry record so if the last record had source code = GENJNL then the restricted users will get the error. As soon as someone with access manages to post a sales or purchase document then the last g/l entry will no longer have source code = GENJNL so the restricted users will then be able to post with getting an error. This is why you are getting the error intermittently.

Thank you Kishorm. You have pointed the right issue. I could replicate the error by adding a new GL Entry posted from General Journal. We added a read permission to the users that have issue and the issue was resolved.

Thank you so much for your kind support. :D
    Li
  • Options
    Kishorm wrote:
    Great explanation!
    Thank you for pointing that out. =D>
    Regards,
    Andwian
  • Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    Kishorm wrote:

Could you explain it again in little steps :)

"...the last record had source code = GENJNL then the restricted users will get the error".
    Q.
    Why would they get the error "You do not have permission to read the G/L Entry table."?
  • Options
    geordiegeordie Member Posts: 655
    Could you explain it again in little steps :)

"...the last record had source code = GENJNL then the restricted users will get the error".
    Q.
    Why would they get the error "You do not have permission to read the G/L Entry table."?
    For every datatable permission using "Security Filter" field it's possible to define a specific criteria to limit records which can be read or not.
    In this case on G/L Entry permission security filter was "Source Code<>GENJNL": when the following code in sales post codeunit is performed if G/L Entry record read has
    Source Code = GENJNL security filter isn't respect and the error is raised:
    IF RECORDLEVELLOCKING THEN BEGIN
      GLEntry.LOCKTABLE;
      IF GLEntry.FINDLAST THEN;
    END;

Anyone know if it's possible using security filtering to apply modify/delete criteria?
  • Options
    ok, I was under the assumption, when the security filter is setup, you cannot see the record (filtered out).

Maybe it's better to set a filter higher up the tree, on table GL Account, field Direct Posting=false, or on Register.
  • Options
    ok, I was under the assumption, when the security filter is setup, you cannot see the record (filtered out).

Maybe it's better to set a filter higher up the tree, on table GL Account, field Direct Posting=false, or on Register.
    That is a better approach, since when using Security Filter <> GENJNL, we could not use SETPERMISSIONFILTER to bypass the last record which is GENJNL.
    Regards,
    Andwian
  • Options
    Hope the topic starter will let us know what worked.
  • Options
    KishormKishorm Member Posts: 921
    Kishorm wrote:

Oops, typo - but I think a couple of you got the intended meaning - last bit was supposed to say...

"so the restricted users will then be able to post WITHOUT getting an error."
  • Options
    Oops... I don't recognized the typos, until you notice us, and I keep it read two-three times, I still don't recognize it.
    Finally, I can locate the typos. But indeed, I read it like this, before:
    "so the restricted users will then be able to post WITHOUT getting an error."
    I read it correctly, and understand correctly, although without 'OUT'. Maybe it is true fact that human brain could correct the typos automatically. :mrgreen:
    Regards,
    Andwian