Options

NAV2013 through RDP, do we have to buy all the Excel RDP lic

Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
edited 2013-11-01 in NAV Three Tier
cences?

Excel RDP licence for 20 users is like €6000. €300 per user.

We intend to host the NAV server of our Danish subsidiary in Austria because here we have the IT team, not there. Such long distances work well with RDP but would not work so well with a client server environment. Plus we can control much better what is set up, what external programs are linked to the client, client side automation, we can turn off copy-pasting in RDP if the boss worries about some users may be abusing data etc. etc. so really better to use it through RDP.

But to be able to export data to Excel, user the PowerPivot etc. would we have to buy the expensive Excel RDP licences when we have already bought it locally on their PCs?

This was not a problem in the past because users could just copy paste to locally installed Excel. This would work, but they would not be able to use the much more enchanced functionality like PowerPivot.

Comments

• Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    Copy Rows still work. With this you only need a local excel.

I guess you disabled this in RDP. So then yes, you need a TS license of Office (but then the disabling of copy/paste) didn't help either.
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Time to consider Office 360? Isn't that licensed per user regardless of which device they use?
  • Options
    No, don't think so. Office on a TS Server can only install with a RDP license. Office 365 license will not work.
  • Options
    Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    If RTC is a thin client, do I really need another thin client like RDP or could I have the server running in Vienna and the clients installed in Denmark? With Classic we could not do this, as it was a thick client, issued every database operation but with RTC in 2013? Was RTC meant for remote operation? Did MSFT ever said anything about that?
  • Options
    RTC is not a thin client. So I would still advice rdp and this is possible too in a browser. The webclient is also limited in functionality.

I have seen RTC used over the internet. So it is possible. With rtc all client processing is done on the server.
  • Options
    Jens_M-PJens_M-P Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 39
    You can run RTC locally connected to a remote server (ability added in NAV 2009 R2). How efficient that is depends on the latency to the NAV server - but it is worth trying out.
    You need to set up proper certificates etc. and decide on the authentication mechanism to use. Take a look at e.g. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj551778(v=nav.71).aspx.
    Best regards,
    Jens Møller-Pedersen [MSFT]

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    RTC is not a thin client. So I would still advice rdp and this is possible too in a browser. The webclient is also limited in functionality.

I have seen RTC used over the internet. So it is possible. With rtc all client processing is done on the server.

The RTC is a fat client that has been on a serious diet.

I would most certainly look into running RTC over WAN like Jens is suggesting.

All the NAV excel features will use local excel, I don't know how powerpivot is programmed. If they make office xml server side than you are good to go.