Options

How to close lock error automatically

johannajohanna Member Posts: 369
edited 2013-10-02 in NAV Three Tier
Dear all,

I am using NAV 2013 build 35177.
There are so many lock error in live environment.
When lock error is appeared in posting process and user didn't click OK, whether this will affect another user (ex: this will lock another user)? If it affect another user, how to close lock error automatically?
Please help.. Thank you..
Best regards,

Johanna

Comments

• Options
    mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,503
    There is a field called Post with Job Queue in Sales & Receivables setup and Purchase & Payable Setup.

"It Specifies if your business process uses job queues in the background to post sales and purchase documents, including orders, invoices, return orders, and credit memos. Select this check box to enable background posting."

Here is the msdn help link
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh879081(v=nav.70).aspx
  • Options
    Dear Mohana,

Thank you for your suggestion.. But, unfortunately, we cannot use background posting because we need to print the report as soon as possible to give it to customer..
    When lock error is appeared in posting process and user didn't click OK, do you know whether this will affect another user (ex: this will lock another user)? If it affect another user, how to close lock error automatically?
    Thank you :D
    Best regards,

Johanna
  • Options
    BardurKnudsenBardurKnudsen Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 137
    When an error is presented to the user, the transaction has already been rolled back and (s)he is not locking anything.
    When you say "lock error", do you mean deadlock error or lock timeout? If the first is the case, I would like to hear more about it. If it's the latter, then, dependent on the posting time for a typical order, you could try to change the "Lock Timeout" in the "Alter Database" window in the "Advanced" tab. By default it is set to 10 seconds, but I think you can safely set it to 30 or 60 seconds, dependent on how long your transactions are and how patient the lock victims are. Personally, I would rather wait 30 seconds and then have my job processed than being kicked out after 10 seconds.
    Bardur Knudsen
    Microsoft - Dynamics NAV
  • Options
    kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    If you are talking about a deadlock then it shouldn't lock other users (although, if I remember correclty I've seen this happen in a 3.7 version where a process to post many orders would open up many message windows).

However, this window should not be hidden because it's the only way to inform the user that his transaction was rolled-back. Otherwise users would think that it completed.
  • Options
    Dear BardurKnudsen,
    It is locktimeout error. Thank you for your suggestion about locktimeout. I will set to 30s.

Dear kapamarou,
    It is locktimeout errror. So, if it is locktimeout error, the error message that is not closed will lock another user, right?
    Yes, you are right about the error message must be shown. I just want to know whether is it possible to close error locktimeout automatically. :D
    Best regards,

Johanna
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The user that receives the "lock timeout" error message does not have a lock. The message indicates that they attempted to acquire a log but failed. Anyways, why don't you look into improvign system performance and therefore reducing (or better yet eliminating) these timeout errors? Continual lock timeouts should not be an acceptable condition.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    Dear bbrown,

Thank you for your information. Yes, I am still research for improving system performance and therefore reducing the timeout lock error.
    Yes, I agree with you that continual lock timeouts should not be an acceptable condition.
    Thank you :)
    Best regards,

Johanna